News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear defrost switch for 86 Eagle  (Read 1164 times)

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Rear defrost switch for 86 Eagle
« on: February 06, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
My rear defroster switch broke. And double bad news my parts car one is broken too.

Let me know if you know where I can buy one. Thanks.

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Rear defrost switch for 86 Eagle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »
(My first post got eaten; said "Clean talk, enable java" or some such weird thing.  I think it didn't like my link.)

In what way is the switch broken?  I popped the cover off mine and instantly found a bad solder joint.  Also, since neither switch works, check for power on two wires coming into the switch: should be the red and tan ones, from what I can see on the diagram.  Also the tabs on either side of the grid like to fall off.

The amazing American Parts Depot has them too; 75 bucks though...

http://www.americanpartsdepot.net/Switches.htm
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 01:27:10 PM »
Got eaten by clean talk? Did you get a error?
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 01:46:05 PM »
Thanks. The problem is that the physical part you touch is snapped, everything behind was working fine until the plastic switch broke. Hmm maybe I can try gluing it first??

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 05:48:56 PM »
Test the broken plastic with plumber cement. I think that is what I used to fix the hood release. Kennedy American also might have it.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »
The switch that sticks out on the front kind of floppy flips up and down but doesn't turn anything on. On second thought I don't think I can glue it, at least not without removing it and maybe even disassembling the switch.

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:33:29 PM »
They can be taken apart if you are careful and patient, then maybe find a replacement piece from some other switch?
Someone did this before and showed it on facebook, but i'm not on facebook anymore.
1985 Eagle sedan rescue project

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 12:49:11 AM »
Does anyone have the wiring pinout for the 86 rear defrost switch. I inquired with APD but don't seem to have a new switch.

I found some GM switches with the light in them, probably a timer too, and I think I could possibly hide the GM switch and run wires back to the factory switch and make it work since I can't find a replacement switch.

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 01:45:33 PM »
Well I thought I'd post a followup. I eventually found an NOS rear defrost switch on eBay, bought it and I'm good now. I actually got a decent deal I think, $34 including shipping.

The part number is J3240660 by the way you can setup alerts so you can be notified if one comes available in the future, that's the trick that worked for me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 01:46:39 PM by 86Woodgrain »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk