News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cat Replacement  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Spoon

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Cat Replacement
« on: December 28, 2020, 02:57:31 AM »
Hello, I'm working on an 81 IL6 258 base automatic wagon, and I've started work on replacing her bad exhaust parts which is everything from the cat to the tailpipe I can more or less figure everything out except for replacing the converter. I've never replaced one before and I could really use a play-by-play on it.

I'm also unable to find the location of the o2 sensor, as I've heard you're supposed to unhook that before removing the cat.

Although it does seem rather simple I'd rather not do something wrong and cost myself later.

Thank You

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Cat Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
The 02 sensor is just below the junction of the exhaust manifold and the header pipe. If you're going to replace the header pipe disconnect the 02 sensor, otherwise I don't know of any reason to disconnect other than to replace the sensor. :eagle:

1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 12:34:01 PM »
It is definitely on the manifold. I bought the down pipe, crossover and tail pipe from rock auto years ago. Not sure if they still carry them. The muffler I got from advanced auto, a basic 2”. The cat is off a MK2 Volkswagen gti, they had 2” back then, plus it was free. Had two of them back in the 90’s
The muffler is rusted out, only lasted 8-10 years.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:07:23 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Spoon

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 08:27:05 PM »
The 02 sensor is just below the junction of the exhaust manifold and the header pipe. If you're going to replace the header pipe disconnect the 02 sensor, otherwise I don't know of any reason to disconnect other than to replace the sensor. :eagle:

I appreciate it.

And just for clarity, since I am not replacing anything beyond my catalytic converter I have no need to worry about the o2 sensor throwing something in my computer. correct?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:19:16 AM »
I don't believe the 81's had an O2 sensor, mine doesn't.  The O2 sensor came into play with the feedback carb, and the 81's just had a basic carb. 

I haven't replaced the cat converter myself but it should be pretty straightforward.  Pick up a universal one off eBay and adjust your exhaust to fit.  I may have a picture around somewhere, if I do I'll post it.

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 11:33:31 AM »
Here is a picture of my aftermarket cat, installed at Midas.  This one does have an O2 sensor installed as I added fuel injection to my Eagle.  Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:52:17 AM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Spoon

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 01:46:39 PM »
That should do it for me then.

Thanks for the helpful information!

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Spoon

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »
After an extensive wait all of the components are now in my possession, and I went out earlier to get to work removing the pipes. I knew it would be difficult as they're molded by rust, as expected I was unsuccessful.

I'd tried heating the pipes points contacted by the clamps and applying pressure by smacking a tightened clamp with a mallet, didn't even move a millimeter.
I fear that I may have to cut it off and replace the entire exhaust system running back to the manifold. I'm not really in the financial place to do anything like that right now so I come asking if you guys have any ideas of how to get these pipes off without causing too much damage to them.

Thanks a ton.

Helpful information:
* The pipes I'm attempting to remove are the mid extension pipe from the cat and the cat from the first extension.

*I am willing to cut the cat if it'll help, but would prefer to stay away from that idea if possible. I'm planning to sell it to magnaflow for recycle money.

*I've been caking the pipes joints in PB Blaster and WD-40 every afternoon for a week.

*The clamps are already removed, I've replacements in hand.

Thanks again,
                    Spoon.

Offline Spoon

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 08:03:45 PM »
I finally got the cat removed from the pipes but now before I install anything new I want to get new bolts in the connection between the manifold and the first pipe down.

Do you guys happen to know if there is a gasket within this connection? As I would definitely like to replace it.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 08:41:52 PM »
no gasket. it is a flared pipe that gets pulled tight onto the bubble flare of the manifold.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Spoon

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
thanks a ton!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk