News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dead short 1986 Eagle  (Read 1525 times)

Offline charlie D

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Dead short 1986 Eagle
« on: September 09, 2020, 04:30:03 PM »
I have a dead short on my 1986 Eagle. I have done the standard remove each fuse one at a time and check to see if there is still a draw on the battery with everything off. No dice, still showed dead short. The horn works so that fusable link is OK. I have the factory repairs manual to help. BUT everything seems to work OK, so not really sure where to start poking. The only thing I notice that is a little suspicious is one headlight seems a little dim, but not much so figure I will check the connection to the bulb tomorrow. Any suggestions?
Charlie D

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Dead short 1986 Eagle
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 06:10:55 PM »
Disconnect the alternator and then check.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
What mo.eagles said.  A bad diode in the alt will drain the battery while sitting.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline charlie D

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
I disconnected the alternator and still show a draw on the battery. Thanks for the tip, but the diode is now off the list. I went back and confirmed that removing fuses one at a time did not solve the short. As I was reconnecting the battery while doing this, I heard a faint chime(my hearing is not good). I am suspecting that the warning system for key, headlights, seat belt is the issue. I had removed one of the circuit breakers on the side of the fuse box, the smaller one, and it made no difference. There is a large thinner one piggy backed to that circuit breaker that does not seem to want to come off. There is no warning buzzer on the other side of the fuse box as shown in the manual. I am thinking that if I can just get to the buzzer, chime itself and disable it, that will cure the battery drain. Have a battery disconnect so its not a big deal to leave it alone, but my German heritage will not let me do that in good conscience. Anyone know how to get to the buzzer/chime? Is it behind the fuse box? Thanks
Charlie D

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »
The chime (big box) and various buzzers (little modules) are separate parts.  Go to the Epadia and the '84-'88 parts manual - Section 87-30 to see what they look like, and the color-coding of the different buzzers.

May want to check the key buzzer switch under the steering wheel - sometimes the contacts or plastic housing will break and short the contacts.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7