News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?  (Read 13717 times)

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 12:25:38 AM »
Bummer.  Every time a company's bean counters get ahold of a parts catalog, stuff like this starts to happen....................
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
Just in case anyone is still following along with this....

After ItsaWykydtron seemed to have bought the last CV shaft left in the world at a retail outlet, I went searching for another!!  LOL!

eBay was my only source, being in Canada...
As I mentioned in a previous post, I ordered two from an eBay seller...
One was correct...  One was two inches too long!

Ended up getting a refund on the incorrect one....
Against my better judgement, I ordered another one...
That one showed up 2 inches too long as well...   Son of a!!!!  >:(
Got a refund on that one too...

As a very last grasp at the straw, I ordered one more from yet another eBay seller!!
Two days after my order was confirmed, every single listing on eBay for NCV82001
shafts disappeared!!!   Due to my complaints??   
I don't know, but after that, I just was assuming that the third axle was going to be
wrong as well...

WELL!!!   I was pleasantly surprised when yesterday I actually received a correct length axle!!!

The last one in the world, I think, folks!!!
Hope you guys are all good for CV's, because I think I got the last one that fits!!!

I guess we're all rebuilding and rebooting after this!!!   :-\

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
But do they??

The "ships within 1-3 months" thing makes me suspect they don't actually have any stock on hand, but very likely might drop ship from the same warehouse that probably all the ebay sellers were using!!

I was gonna try them, but I really didn't want to wait 3 months to get one!!
(and it could very well have been wrong as well!!   LOL!)

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Crazyness. Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you finally got one. I hope some supplier out there steps up soon.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
Thank YOU for your very helpful advice in this ridiculous quest to get a decent set of axles!!

I'm hoping that these will last me a good long time, but...  There's always a but!!   ;)
If they don't, at least I have a couple of originals that I can reboot if I have to!!

The outer boot seems easy to find...  But the inner is a weird triangular thing, that I'm not sure I'd ever find a replacement for...
Anyone here ever reboot an OEM CV shaft?!?

Now if I can only figure out what these two incorrect axles I'm stuck with might fit!! (they didn't want them back because I refused to pay return shipping!  And they didn't want to pay it either!!)
Maybe I can recoup some of my loss selling them to someone that can use them!!

Anyone want to experiment with 2" longer than stock CV shafts?!?   ;)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
I put a new boot on a stock CV half shaft.  I got a universal boot from Rockauto, they show it as a Dorman 614004.  Also picked up a cheap tool to tighten the band clamp, I think that was from Amazon.  Wasn’t too tough once I figured out that I could split the shaft into two parts, and the boot didn’t need to go over the whole outer housing!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
The longer ones may be Chevy S10. They look the same but I'm only guessing.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
I put a new boot on a stock CV half shaft.  I got a universal boot from Rockauto, they show it as a Dorman 614004.  Also picked up a cheap tool to tighten the band clamp, I think that was from Amazon.  Wasn’t too tough once I figured out that I could split the shaft into two parts, and the boot didn’t need to go over the whole outer housing!

Sorry, I'm a little confused -- for my '83 wagon, RockAuto is listing Dorman P/Ns 614003, 614256 and 03608 for the outers and only Dorman P/N 614002 for the inner.  (please see attachment)

Dorman P/N 614004 doesn't appear unless I search it as an individual P/N.  How did you arrive at needing the 614004 as opposed to one of the other P/Ns, and which one did you use it for, the inner or outer?

Also, could you elaborate a little on how to split the axle apart, please?

I guess I made the same mistake as everyone else by purchasing and installing (2) of the SurTrack AM8001 axles that apparently fail with very little usage because they're too short, or just junk.  I did notice they were a little shorter, but paid it no mind because they bolted up alright.  At least I kept my old axles as spares, though they do need to be rebooted. 

Thank you!

David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Sorry, I'm a little confused -- for my '83 wagon, RockAuto is listing Dorman P/Ns 614003, 614256 and 03608 for the outers and only Dorman P/N 614002 for the inner.  (please see attachment)

Dorman P/N 614004 doesn't appear unless I search it as an individual P/N.  How did you arrive at needing the 614004 as opposed to one of the other P/Ns, and which one did you use it for, the inner or outer?

I have a 1988 Wagon, and the 614004 shows as the correct boot for that year.  I did use it for the inner, for sure.  It was a universal boot, and maybe bigger than needed.  I recall the large end was bigger than I needed, so I pulled it up and cut off the widest lip down to the next level.  I assumed it was supposed to be that way.  Looks like the 614002 is slightly smaller diameter, maybe it wouldn’t need to be trimmed?

Hmmm, don’t have a great memory or any pictures.  I seem to recall opening up the inner housing from the end by the axle flange, there is a round plate that seals the whole thing on the end by the flange.  You should be able to pry that off and get a look at the inside of the housing.  The inner end has 3 knuckles that slide into the housing, and each knuckle has a bearing on it as I recall.  I slid it out of the housing for sure.    I think there may have been a way to remove the knuckles from the shaft, maybe a cir-clip at the end of the housing?
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18

I have a 1988 Wagon, and the 614004 shows as the correct boot for that year.  I did use it for the inner, for sure.  It was a universal boot, and maybe bigger than needed.  I recall the large end was bigger than I needed, so I pulled it up and cut off the widest lip down to the next level.  I assumed it was supposed to be that way.  Looks like the 614002 is slightly smaller diameter, maybe it wouldn’t need to be trimmed?

Hmmm, don’t have a great memory or any pictures.  I seem to recall opening up the inner housing from the end by the axle flange, there is a round plate that seals the whole thing on the end by the flange.  You should be able to pry that off and get a look at the inside of the housing.  The inner end has 3 knuckles that slide into the housing, and each knuckle has a bearing on it as I recall.  I slid it out of the housing for sure.    I think there may have been a way to remove the knuckles from the shaft, maybe a cir-clip at the end of the housing?

Thank for the response on this, will be ordering boots shortly to redo my old axles so I appreciate the insight!

David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Ive replaced both my axle shafts now, both from rock auto under part number CARDONE 603027, one ordered 11 / 05 / 2017, the other ordered 01 / 25 / 2018. I didnt measure either, but they both fit and havent blown out yet. I do recall one of them having a coarser thread than the other, though.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Napa lists a reman axle shaft for our Eagles, P/N NMD 958130.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMD958130?partTypeName=CV+Driveshaft+-+Front&keywordInput=output+shaft

It's a reasonable $65 per axle if one can get past the $78 core charge!   :o

I don't know if they're better than anyone else's remans, but I've tended to trust Napa stuff better than the other parts houses in the past.

Does anyone have experience with the Napa P/N I've listed above?

Thanks!
David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
Birdman:  Those Cardone axles are the ones I originally ordered from RockAuto in March of this year...

I measured them due to the issue that ItsaWykydtron had with the SureTrack axles...

The inner housings were about an inch shorter than an OEM axle I had lying around...

I didn't want to take any chances, so I returned them...

Glad to hear you haven't had any issues with them!!
Guess I coulda saved the $125 it cost me to ship them back!!   :P

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
DJM:  That reman axle you linked to certainly looks good in the picture!

But in the Specs section they list it as being 25 to 25-5/16" long!!!   WAY too long!!!

You might want to confirm that number is just a typo before ordering, because the Eagle shafts are supposed to be 18-1/4" compressed length!

Edit:   I just looked at that link again, and it states it has an ABS ring and the inner connection is splined!!!   Certainly doesn't match the picture!!   I'd be wary!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:22:48 PM by Mac »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk