The Shop > Altered Eagles

Small block Chevy into Eagle

<< < (2/5) > >>

eaglefreek:
 :occasion14:

The Dark Side of Will:
Fitted the second rev of the design last weekend. It moved the diff 1/2" to the left. It doesn't look much different in pics, so I didn't snap any.

The right side and diff snout mounts now clear the locating fixture, so the diff can be bolted flat on the flange and both fasteners tightened up all the way.

From looking at the fixture, it needs to move another 1/2" to the left and 1/2" up. I made a new rev of the drawings which moves the diff 1/2" to the left, but skipped moving it up, as that would make packaging the diff against the side of the engine + the axle tube vs. the windage tray and oil pan that much more difficult. As it is, there will be significant pan mods.

The drawings are with the laser team to cut.

Either with the current rev or the next rev or both, we'll measure where the output flanges are relative to the lower control arm pickup points on the crossmember to verify that the diff is in the right position left to right relative to the crossmember.

The Dark Side of Will:

--- Quote from: The Dark Side of Will on March 20, 2018, 07:59:08 PM ---we'll measure where the output flanges are relative to the lower control arm pickup points on the crossmember to verify that the diff is in the right position left to right relative to the crossmember.

--- End quote ---

My dad took some rough measurements over the weekend. The diff is actually already 3/16 to 1/4" to the LEFT of centered between the lower control arm pivots. I canceled production of the next rev of the diff mount, since the diff does not need to move further to the left.

This conflicts with the mount fixture that my dad made from a TF998 case on my 4.0. What we're seeing with the disagreement between the mount fixture and the measurements to the control arm pickup points could be explained if the 258 is offset slightly to the right in the Eagle engine bay.

The mount towers on the crossmember are DEFINITELY offset to the right. I *thought* that the 258 crankshaft centerline was in the center of the engine bay, and the mount towers were only offset to accommodate the bulge on the side of the 258 block where the distributor drive and oil pump are located.
Apparently the truth is somewhere in between. I'll need to take some careful measurements of the Eagle mount brackets on my 4.0 to verify.

Our mount design centers the Chevy crankshaft in the engine bay.

amarshall:
My Eagle is in storage so I can't measure, but I'm 99% sure that the 258 is not centered in the chassis.  I believe it is slightly offset to the passenger side.  I think I've read here on the forum about that also, in one of the suspension threads about front coil springs.  Something about the factory from coils springs being mismatched to account for the different weights from side to side?

vangremlin:

--- Quote from: amarshall on March 26, 2018, 10:51:31 PM ---My Eagle is in storage so I can't measure, but I'm 99% sure that the 258 is not centered in the chassis.  I believe it is slightly offset to the passenger side.  I think I've read here on the forum about that also, in one of the suspension threads about front coil springs.  Something about the factory from coils springs being mismatched to account for the different weights from side to side?

--- End quote ---

This is my understanding also.  We must have both read the same threads  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version