News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 10, 2024, 04:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Support Front Diff for Engine Removal?  (Read 3591 times)

Offline richml3

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Support Front Diff for Engine Removal?
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »
I have removed the 258 from my 85 Eagle 4-door sedan.  I've removed engines from cars many times, but this was my first Eagle.  Everything went fairly smooth except when trying to figure out which mounts and brackets to remove I ended up removing the two bolts that hold up the front diff pumpkin to the driver side motor mount bracket.  This was basically the last thing holding it up since I had the passenger side bracket disconnected that holds the axle tube up on that side.  THUNK!  Down dropped the whole front diff and it caught itself on some of the exhaust tubing running underneath.  There is now a small leak at one of the CV boots and I don't know what all I may have broken.

Now that the motor is out, how should I have prepared for supporting the front diff if it is held in place mostly by being bolted to the block through mounts and brackets?  I'll need to know this for the reinstall.

What damage "may" have I done with respect to the axles, front drive shaft, T-case, CV joints, etc. and what steps should I take to check everything out?

BTW, the trans is still in the car and had not planned on removing the trans unless I absolutely have to.

Also, please direct me to any threads on engine removal techniques and procedures.

Thanks, folks!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Support Front Diff for Engine Removal?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:05:14 AM »
The couple times that I have removed an engine in an Eagle, I removed the front diff first to get it out of the way.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »
When we removed the engine from my Eagle, we just supported the front drive train with wood blocks.  We also disconnected the front CV axles from the differential. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:22:22 AM »
The first time i removed the motor i supported it to the shock towers. However its just as easy to pull it out. I have done that the next multiple times.

Manitowoc WI

Offline richml3

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »
I'm seeing a common theme here.

Any speculation on what I may have broken that has diff oil dripping at the driver side CV?  Maybe just a boot or seal? Worse?

Thanks,
Rich

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
If it's diff oil, it may have tipped so far down the breather hose pulled out.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
Is it grease or oil?  If it is a grease type substance the boot is probably bad, but I would pull that half shaft anyway to inspect the joint.  Most of us do not bother replacing boots as it is far better to replace the half shaft.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk