News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 10, 2024, 09:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where can I buy new viscous coupling for transfer case?  (Read 52653 times)

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Where can I buy new viscous coupling for transfer case?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
Here is an idea of what i'm doing tomorrow.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
For the 229 I can find prices ranging from 400 to 450$.
Maybe you can give the drivetrain guys a call.

The drivetrain guys list the VC for the 229 for $750.  I'm thinking the VC for the 119 must be available a great deal cheaper elsewhere if Autozone can sell a complete rebuilt 119 transfer case for $620.
Are they replacing the coupler in a rebuilt case? Maybe they are using old ones that still meet specs.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 06:46:41 PM »
Are they replacing the coupler in a rebuilt case? Maybe they are using old ones that still meet specs.

I'm pretty sure they'd be replacing the VC as I doubt there'd be very many used ones still meeting specs and even if there were some it would be next to impossible to get ahold of them on demand and it would be pretty misleading to advertise the unit as rebuilt if the major component in it isn't.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:48:14 PM by priya »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Many car parts are rebuilt with used parts that still meet specs. I would call the company that rebuilds the TC and see if they have an answer for you. Also the TC is cheaper at $600 with a $250 core charge from their website. http://www.midwesttrans.com/index.html

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »
Many car parts are rebuilt with used parts that still meet specs.

I've never heard of that happening.  Once again, I think even if they wanted to use used VCs that still meet specs it would be impossible to find anwhere near enough of them to fill orders as they come in.  If every core that came in had a good VC then they could do it but its a certainty that precious few cores are going to come in with VCs still meeting specs or they wouldn't have been removed from the car in the first place.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »
the 119 that i installed in my wagon was the same way

You mean it was very easy to turn one yoke while holding the other stationary?  Was your transfer case good?
yup, we noticed that when we loaded it into my jeep to bring it home.  when i put the transfer case in the car I forgot to lock the front drive shaft as well and the car refused to move but only spun the front driveshaft very fast.  after we locked the front axle the car moved great and has been going good for about 600 miles and counting
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Many car parts are rebuilt with used parts that still meet specs.

I've never heard of that happening.  
Are you assuming every part is new in a rebuilt engine, transmission, transfer case, alternator, etc.?  If that was the case it would be more money than a new assembly. Here's a quote from the Automotive Parts Remaufactuers Association: http://www.apra.org/About/Reman.asp
"For all practical purposes, remanufacturing automotive parts is very much like assembling new parts except that many of the components are taken from used parts, especially the housing. In remanufacturing, the part must be completely disassembled, cleaned and examined for wear and breakage. Worn out, missing or non-functioning components are replaced with new or rebuilt components. Electrical parts frequently need rewinding or rewiring. After all work is done, the part is reassembled and tested for compliance with performance specifications."

In other words if components aren't worn out and meet specs they are reused.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 03:11:24 AM »
This link has alot of information on the different transfer cases available. I have most of the transfer cases listed, so at some point this winter I will crack them apart and find out for sure if the Viscous Coupling is the same. I'm pretty sure they all use the same VC.

http://www.n0kfb.org/homepage/amc/tech/transfer_case/swap/

The link does forget to mention the 249. That case is found in Grand Cherokees. The 93 to 95 249s should be avoided because they had an open differential in low range. Thats no good. The 96 to 98 249s are low locked like all the others.

I put a 242 in my Red SX4. The slip yoke went on my driveshaft U joints as is. I did have to put a section of metal pipe around the shank of the original slip piston, because the slip yoke and the piston in the driveshaft together made the driveshaft able to fall off.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 03:28:17 AM »
I agree that remanufactured parts reuse some components, but they do not bother to even test gaskets, O-rings, chains, and other obviously wear affected parts. Reusing a viscous coupling would be alot like reusing a timing chain. Timing chains are always replaced in remanufactured engines, even if a used one is still in spec. It might be possible for a factory to split the VC apart and refresh the internals in similar fashion to the remanufacturing of torque converters. Otherwise they are using rebuild parts at a fraction of the cost as the ones we're looking at in order to offer complete units for the prices available. I agree with Priya.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
I agree it would be illogical to use a 30 year old VC however many large companies don't run off of logic. They run off of dollars. If they can save a few bucks and reuse a part that still works they will. I'm not talking about gaskets and Orings. I knew a guy who worked for a major engine rebuilder. They would routinely overbore one cylinder and and just hone the rest if they were in spec. So you would get an engine with one or two .030 over pistons and the rest are cleaned originals. I'm not saying that's what they do with the TC. That's why I said to call them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:42:00 AM by eaglefreek »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »
Thanks for the link Captspillane.  That explains most of the cases nicely and confirms that my transfer case is an NP119.  I think I'm going to stick with the NP119, I like a full time 4wd and have no need of a low range.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 11:49:07 AM »
Logic has no room in the automotive re-manufacturing world! Rebuilders get TONS of used tcases, etc from junkyards. Many are just used units with say a hole in the case. They put the internals into another case and Voilà! rebuilt tcase, please pay on your way out!
   The same VC is used in NP119, 129, 219 and 229 (possibly some others) The FSJ NP219 is a direct swap for the NP119 except it also has low range (an added benefit) and E drive. They were only used '80 to mid '82 (Jeep also used NP208 in a lot of those rigs) With the number of FSJs "retiring" and not needing parts, the number of spare parts being available is starting to dwindle too.
   I've been in the automotive repair field for nearly 40 years. The number of unethical repair shops used to hover around the 80% mark and I don't think it has changed that much over the years. I sell parts now and the number of "shops" that call to pick my brain about possible issues with pre-OBDII vehicles is close to 80%. They are what we call the "Plug and Prey" mechanics that I wouldn't take anything but the most menial tasks to.
   The VC is one of those "Works or doesn't work" things that's easy to test visually if it's in your hand. Some rebuild shops even swap the VC for the differential from a NP128 or NP228.

I agree it would be illogical to use a 30 year old VC however many large companies don't run off of logic. They run off of dollars. If they can save a few bucks and reuse a part that still works they will. I'm not talking about gaskets and Orings. I knew a guy who worked for a major engine rebuilder. They would routinely overbore one cylinder and and just hone the rest if they were in spec. So you would get an engine with one or two .030 over pistons and the rest are cleaned originals. I'm not saying that's what they do with the TC. That's why I said to call them.

Eaglefreek that would be an extremely unusual situation, no reputable engine builder would do that. And certainly it would be far from routine for an engine to come in for  a rebuild with one cylinder out of spec and the other's in spec so the odds of getting a rebuilt engine with used pistons from an unscrupulous manufacturer would be very slim in any event.

As I said earlier in order for them to use used VC's in spec they'd have to find them first and either every core that comes in would have to have an in spec VC (impossible) or they'd have to go out and buy 10 or 20 used transfer cases to find one good in spec VC, that would be time consuming and more expensive than putting in new VCs if it could even be done.  If you're saying its possible they could put in used VC's sure anything is possible, they could be getting in cores, cleaning the exterior and sending them out as rebuilt units.  The question is is it likely and common sense says no, its not likely at all.

Now if you don't have any suggestions as to where I can find a new viscous coupling at a price proportional to the $620 Autozone sells a remanufactured transfer case for I have no need of further comments from you.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:57:03 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

rohnk

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »
The VC in my Eagle went out after I got it back from Nebraska. The transmission shop I took it to rebuilt the VC but did say they could order one for like $800. I was comfortable with them because they have an Eagle sitting out back that is owned by a friend of the shops owner. Someday, I may be able to get that Eagle if they ever want to part with it.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Carnuck, unless you have a suggestion for where I can buy a new VC for a price proportional to the $620 Autozone charges for a rebuilt unit I have no need of your opinions either.  As far as rebuilders getting "tons" of used VC's from wrecking yards, I don't buy it.  I've been to several wrecking yards recently and haven't seen a single AMC in any of them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:19:29 PM by priya »

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
Priya, I hope you will find the part for the right price.
Out of loyalty and courtesy to the others posting here, I will refrain from trying to help you further.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk