News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 05:59:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric transfer case vacuum servo?  (Read 9841 times)

rohnk

Electric transfer case vacuum servo?
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »
So I was thinking about replacing the vaccuum servo on the transfer case with an electric motor to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive. The benefit to this would be better reliability than the vaccuum system. I know these work well when they work but vaccuum lines leak or break all the time. Just thought of the modification as an idea. Thoughts?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Electric transfer case vacuum servo?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
It's been talked about in the past, but I don't recall anyone doing it. Do you have an idea of which servo you would use?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »
there is a writeup in the eaglepedia of a cable operated unit
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »
there is a writeup in the eaglepedia of a cable operated unit

I think a cable would be the best.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »
I read the article about the change to a cable and I like the idea but don't like that the handle sticks out of the floor between the seats.

My thought would be to try and keep the existing switch location and appearance but modify it to switch an electric solenoid. I have no idea what servo or solenoid to use as I haven't thought it through that far, but I was interested in the idea.

Maybe an electric solenoid from a garden tractor lift mechanism would work. It wouldn't need to be anything really heavy as the lever does not require a lot of force to switch between 2 or 4 wheel drive. A bracket would need to be fabricated of course, but all of that could be hidden under the skid plate.

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
check these out, you might find what you need here. i have used this co. products in the past and they make good products. LAZ

http://www.solenoids.com/
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
I read the article about the change to a cable and I like the idea but don't like that the handle sticks out of the floor between the seats.

My thought would be to try and keep the existing switch location and appearance but modify it to switch an electric solenoid. I have no idea what servo or solenoid to use as I haven't thought it through that far, but I was interested in the idea.

Maybe an electric solenoid from a garden tractor lift mechanism would work. It wouldn't need to be anything really heavy as the lever does not require a lot of force to switch between 2 or 4 wheel drive. A bracket would need to be fabricated of course, but all of that could be hidden under the skid plate.
Some (or most) garden tractors have a linear actuator (12v) for raising and lowering the deck.  The problem with something like this, is that force they exert will break something if the gears don't quite line up.  If there is some type of solenoid that has enough power to shift the gears, but not enough to FORCE them into meshing (thereby breaking something), that would be good.  It would also need to be slow actuating.   Something fast like a starter solenoid would surely break something.   That is why they engineered the shift mechanism with vacuum in the Eagle.  Vacuum will put a small amount of pressure until the  gears mesh.  Most of the later 4X4 shift mechanisms are electric actuated, so you may want to look into how they operate. 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch

rohnk

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:54:45 AM »
My dad took a convertible top motor from a T-bird and mounted it on his John Deere 110 to raise and lower the snowblower and mower deck. The way he has it wired it that it only moves when he is holding the momentary switch that gives it power. This gives him infinite places to stop throughout the motion of travel on the motor. I know, WAY to much torque for this application, but a simple idea.

My thought is that is the length of travel on the shifting arm is (for the sake of discussion) 1/2", then I would use a slow moving solenoid powered from 12V with a degree of travel of 3/8". This means that if the gears were not meshed when activated, it would simply stop at it full length of travel (or as far as it could travel) and hold pressure until the vehicle rolled a little bit for everything to "click" in. You could control the amount of pressure by moving the solenoid forward or backward slightly to increase or decrease pressure.

At least this is my simplistic view of the idea!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
What about something as simple as a 12V idle solenoid form a Motorcraft.  Positive engaugement, short throw, inexpensive.  I have about 500 of them if you want to try.  Pay shipping and I'll send you a few.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

rohnk

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the offer Gronk! It is a good idea to try those. I'd have to use one for the front axle and one for the transfer case. The throw on the front axle is 0.64" if I remember right from the Eaglepedia. I don't know how long the throw is on the transfer case. How much movement do those solenoids have?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »
Probaby a little over 1/2"  I'll dig some out.  I believe some are sdjustible too.  I have used these for all sorts of things in the past.  VERY simple to work with.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer Gronk! It is a good idea to try those. I'd have to use one for the front axle and one for the transfer case. The throw on the front axle is 0.64" if I remember right from the Eaglepedia. I don't know how long the throw is on the transfer case. How much movement do those solenoids have?
To simplify it you could lock in the front axle and eliminate one complete set up.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

rohnk

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
Nice idea to lock the front axle. I didn't think of that! What is a safe way of locking it that is reversible in case it doesn't work out? I'd hate to weld the thing together and mess soemthing else up!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
Nice idea to lock the front axle. I didn't think of that! What is a safe way of locking it that is reversible in case it doesn't work out? I'd hate to weld the thing together and mess soemthing else up!
Hose clamp around the shaft of the shift fork.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »

Its in the eaglepedia

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk