The Shop > Altered Eagles

Thinking of a solid front axel......

(1/8) > >>

Mechanic:
 :help:

Alright guys, buckle up for a long technically laden post.

So, I'm planning on building a trail dedicated rig this summer, quite soon actually. I'm hopping to catch the tail end of the off road season up here. And I'm planning on building it out of an SX/4(no, not my 81 SX/4, I will hopefully be getting another one). Oh, and I'm doing this on a very tight budget for now, that could change if people by some of my vehicles, but for now. Keep things on the cheap.

So, my question to all you folk, in a very broad sense, is how should I build this? I've never built a trail rig before and I'm not all that gutsy when it comes to modification either. I can fabricate and install most anything, but I would need dimensions and where they go ect. I'm just not brave enough to rip it all down and then build it back up fabricating and modifying as needed.

Now, for a quick tool summary, so you guys know what I'm capable of before I move on.
-MIG welder with argon gas
-240 stick welder (not bad at welding either)
-OXY Eseteline torch (good with this to)
-all hand tools
-chop saw
-drill press
-a brand new lathe that we haven't put together or tried yet
-heated shop

Alright, now on to the technical questions.... I was originally planning on just doing a 2 inch lift, some 31" tires if they would fit, a Lincoln locked rear diff and a NP229 with the floor......... Adjusted for the speedo cable.

But now I'm thinking that the lift might not be sufficient, and the tire size not quite big enough for some of the trails around here, and I wouldn't dare put bigger than 31's on a slightly lifted eagle because of the half shafts and the weak 2 piece rear end.

So just the last day or so, I've been thinking solid Axel swap. There are a couple Grand Wagoneers in the Pick N Pull and on for sale for parts cheap on kijiji. And maybe if I could find it, an ford 8.8 if I could find the proper gear ratio.

Now, once I was thinking about the SAS swap, i began to wonder if it would be better to have leafs up front or coils. I've seen a SAS done up eagle once before and it was on coils (Mick's doing) and it was FANTASTICALY done!!! But, after looking at all of the things Mick had modified, I was kinda scared at the prospect of doing that myself. So I thought about leafs, but I know even less about this conversion then I do about the coil conversion.

So, first question, should I do the SAS swap?
Second question, assuming I DO the SAS swap, what Axles should I use front and rear and what are they out of?
Third, what gear ratio (has to be a STOCK gear ratio) should I be looking for?
Forth, should I Lincoln lock whatever I have out back or wait to buy an expensive locker?(trail dedicated, remember)
Fifth, what size tires should I run? I've been suggested 35's but tones of people run 33's.
Sixth, and this is the big one, Coils or leafs out front?

I'm really trying to aim this question at the Eagle lifting veterans (Mick, Rollguy) as if the answer is yes to the SAS swap, I would GREATLY appreciate some in-depth answeres, maybe suggesting some sites that give you measurements for things that need to be fabricated.

mudkicker715:
My front steering.

Front driveshaft issue now corrected with a double cardan.

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/mudkicker715/Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS80NQ-1.jpg[/

IMG]

Still working on it. Just an idea of leaf sprung.

Mechanic:
Oh right, i forgot you would have to fab up a crossmember cause your removing the Indipendent front suspension and removing the one engine mount.

You also have a high steer kit on it. How did you build that? And what diff did you use?

mudkicker715:
Crappy stupid second picture try again

Its a v8 so it moved

Check jb4x4 website for the high steer.

mudkicker715:
Bad memory 242 case sorry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version