News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:10:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My '82 Spirit of the Eagle  (Read 9352 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
My '82 Spirit of the Eagle
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:22:35 AM »
It started life as a mild, unassuming '82 Spirit with 4.2L and 998 auto. The previous owner got fed up with the oil and water (headgasket) leaks and parked it in a barn for 10 or so years, then her grandson got it running (he managed to break a head bolt in the process) and sold it to a friend of mine.
   The rust in the tank was so bad he couldn't keep it running (I took the top off the carb many times to clean it out) so I ended up with the car and got it cleared up (I added a fuel injection filter and he added a sediment bowl that filled up weekly till I changed the tank) and I drove it for a year.
   We had a really bad winter a couple years ago and I couldn't access my 4x4 (it was snowed in at my cabin by Steven's Pass) so I drove this car around with surprisingly little effort except the floor kept dragging on the road. Come spring I got a wild hare and decided to make it an Eagle SX4. So far just the back is done (and I have to change the axle again) but I have the parts and hopefully a place to work on it for awhile. (I need to get my Eagle wagon's 727 done and out of there, then finish my '87 Comanche 4x4 conversion so I can access the shop)

Before:

After (so far)

I was originally only going to put in EFI and an AW4 (2wd from an XJ. It's on my for sale pile now) but decided to got the whole way and make it 4x4.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: My '82 Spirit of the Eagle
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
  I hope you realize your going to have to modify the floor for the T-Case!!  Eagles have different floor pans in them

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
Ive seen eagles get converted to a 2wd but never the other way around...Cant wait to see your project
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
This is interesting... You're right Shanebo, this will be a great project to see!
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:40:49 PM »
  I hope you realize your going to have to modify the floor for the T-Case!!  Eagles have different floor pans in them
Do you think in '82 they could have used the Eagle sheet metal (floor and hump) on the Spirit as well to save having different parts?
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
Do you think in '82 they could have used the Eagle sheet metal (floor and hump) on the Spirit as well to save having different parts?
No clue, but for sure the wheel wells are shorter than Eagle's... So some things were different no matter what
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Smitch

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »

They also had to rework the seats for the Eagles on account of the floor pan. They already had the Spirit "fine tuned", so to speak, so why change it?

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
I thought that by '82 the Spirit & Eagle would be nearly identical save the 4 wheel drive equipment.  If they were made on the same assembly line,  thy might use the same sheet metal and seat tracks.  I guess the only way to know for sure would be to compare the two.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »
Floor is definitely different than Eagle (not that it would've stopped me) Problem is too many things are going on in my life now and I'm divesting myself of all my extra projects except my Eagle wagon and 2 FSJs.

This is now headed to the for sale board
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »
Car got saved from being sold (for now. I still have to sell my $8K value '03 E250 for only $6,000 to catch up on property payments so it can be paid off by 2015)

Sold the 2wd AW4 and 2WD ax-15 I had for this car. Still have the engine crossbar, a 290 motor and a Jeep 727/NP208 laying around. Got to get my Eagle wagon running then my '87 MJ 4x4 finished and I can start on this one again.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
I am converting my Spirit to an SX4. The front frame has holes drilled and tapped for both the Eagle and Spirit crossmembers. The only difference is the floor pan. I absolutely love the Spirit GT armrest and gauge cluster, so it is worthwhile to convert a Spirit. The gauge cluster cannot fit an Eagle because the Eagle floor pan has a small hump in it in front of the shifter. That brings the whole ridge up a half inch. That space is needed for an automatic shift linkage, but I won't need it because it will be a manual transmission. A Lokar shifter would also have the clearence if I wanted to make it an Automatic. When I do the conversion I am retaining the center of the floor pan and cutting out on either side of the hump. Once the transfer case is in place I will fabricate a new hump around it. I will install the drivetrain before fabricating anything since the engine is also offset to the passenger side on Eagles, but centered on a Spirit.

You could splice in a Eagle floor pan. It is not as easy as that sounds. The Eagle has support rails that connect to the rocker panels. The Spirit is missing these, and it will complicate the work alot. I'm doing the conversion because I love the Spirit armrest, so thats another reason I would never switch floorpans.

The seats and seat frames are the same between Spirits and Eagles. The difference is the two floor mounts that attach to the floorpan and the bottom of the seat frame with two half inch nuts. The inner floor mount on the Eagle is shorter because it sits on the hump.

I want to eventually buy a 1979 AMX and bring over the armrest, dash overlays, and front AMX grille. If I get good enough at fabricating I will also mimic the AMX fender flares on my "Eagle AMX."

-Dave Spillane-
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 03:58:30 PM »
WOW!! That is going to be one heck of a job. I had a Spirit and a wagon that I was going to take everything from the wagon and put in the Spirit, went fine till we went to put the trans and tc in, well it went back to being a Spirit

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
I am converting my Spirit to an SX4. The front frame has holes drilled and tapped for both the Eagle and Spirit crossmembers. The only difference is the floor pan. I absolutely love the Spirit GT armrest and gauge cluster, so it is worthwhile to convert a Spirit. The gauge cluster cannot fit an Eagle because the Eagle floor pan has a small hump in it in front of the shifter. That brings the whole ridge up a half inch. That space is needed for an automatic shift linkage, but I won't need it because it will be a manual transmission. A Lokar shifter would also have the clearence if I wanted to make it an Automatic. When I do the conversion I am retaining the center of the floor pan and cutting out on either side of the hump. Once the transfer case is in place I will fabricate a new hump around it. I will install the drivetrain before fabricating anything since the engine is also offset to the passenger side on Eagles, but centered on a Spirit.

You could splice in a Eagle floor pan. It is not as easy as that sounds. The Eagle has support rails that connect to the rocker panels. The Spirit is missing these, and it will complicate the work alot. I'm doing the conversion because I love the Spirit armrest, so thats another reason I would never switch floorpans.

The seats and seat frames are the same between Spirits and Eagles. The difference is the two floor mounts that attach to the floorpan and the bottom of the seat frame with two half inch nuts. The inner floor mount on the Eagle is shorter because it sits on the hump.

I want to eventually buy a 1979 AMX and bring over the armrest, dash overlays, and front AMX grille. If I get good enough at fabricating I will also mimic the AMX fender flares on my "Eagle AMX."

-Dave Spillane-

That is why I planned on using XJ trans and tcase (or Toyota if I could find a newer married unit with LH drop) because they are narrower than the Eagle setup. I was also going to do the spacer between frame and engine crossbar to lower that away from the body and allow a little more room for the trans/tcase.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk