The Shop > Altered Eagles

Rear bumper project

(1/7) > >>

eaglefreek:
As I mentioned in another post, I'm working on an "offroad" rear bumper with a spare tire carrier. I removed the rear bumper and ends. I leveled the car. I previously bought some clevis mounts and had a local shop weld some 1/4" plate to them. I temporarily installed them on the factory monuts and plumbed them with my level.

I purchased 6' of 2x6 1/8" rectangular tubing. Here are some pics of the slots I cut for the clevis mounts to pass through.

Here's the tubing slid onto the clevis mounts.

I'll cut the bumper at the ends on an angle and weld some 1/8" plate to take the place of the end caps. Also a spare tire carrier and a receiver hitch are going to be incorporated into the bumper similar to the one below, but the tire won't be as high.

demonicdragon:
im looking forward to the finished product

wagoneerhauler:
That's looking sweet so far EF.  Are you going to weld it so the bumper can double as an air tank?  I wonder what the PSI rating of 1/8" tubing would be if you did.

eaglefreek:

--- Quote from: wagoneerhauler on May 01, 2011, 09:56:56 AM ---That's looking sweet so far EF.  Are you going to weld it so the bumper can double as an air tank?  

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I actually entertained the idea of making it an air tank. However, I think I will be installing some tail lights and reverse lights into the bumper since the spare tire may block the view of the lights.

wagoneerhauler:
I see.  Well that will work nice as well.  It's not a geat idea to make odd shaped air tanks anyway.  Plus, having it be the first point of contact with something else (if you get rear ended etc.) makes it less desirable.  Is the spare tire going to swing down or to the side?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version