News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:04:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions  (Read 82491 times)

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2022, 06:06:07 PM »
Just to be sure before I start pillaging JYs:
-I can grab gears from a low pinion (00-01) Cherokee
-I can grab gears from a Grand Cherokee 98 and earlier

Any other common vehicles in the yard I could grab them from? My Eagle is an 82 with the disconnect so I don't have the "oddball" housing even though it's 2.34 based on what I'm reading here.

Otherwise I need a Cherokee Axle from the yard for the back and I'll expect to do some MIG work on that.

Offline EagleSX4_5Speed

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2022, 11:14:40 PM »
Just make sure you get the correct carrier. Here are some pics of an '83 disconnect 2.35 axle and and '82 disconnect 2.73. In the pictures it is clear that gears are offset more for the 2.73 gears I successfully put in 3.54 gears in that axle with no issues. I had heard about the difference in the carriers and was lucky enough to find a 2.73 axle in a junkyard.

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2022, 03:16:34 PM »
I am guessing the height of the ribs on those carriers is about 5/16 inches tall for the 2.35 axle? Trying to figure out how to locate one of these carriers and affirm it's right on ebay.

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2022, 06:09:13 AM »
So, I found this web site. It lists 2 carrier deck heights, a 1.8 and a 1.938 deck height.

I am wondering if they did something weird with the carrier offset.

https://www.differentials.com/technical-help-2/carrier-breaks/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk