News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 03:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESPO leaf springs flattened?  (Read 52262 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: ESPO leaf springs flattened?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »
Could have been NOS -- left overs for other AMC undersprung applications?  Or maybe a return?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline havasuhd

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 12:17:47 PM »
Anybody tried McVeighs' Truck Springs, Inc.?  They have new leaf springs with bushings for Eagles for $138 shipped to your door.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:21:11 PM by havasuhd »

Offline MetalBird

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Up The Irons!!! \m/
    • Metal Bird Media Productions
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »
Is that $138 individual or for the pair?
1982 AMC Eagle Kammback
1986 AMC Eagle Sedan

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »
My leaf springs from ESPO and the heavier-duty set from KC Spring all flattened.
I gave no thought to whether mine may have been reconditioned, and of course it's too late to tell, now.
I have wondered if I could use a leaf from one set to beef up the other.  However, I don't want any lift - just stock,
with a little more load-carrying capacity.
The coils I got from ESPO worked too well -  they lifted the front, which was not my intention.
Someone on the Forum got the non-ac coils and it seemed to bring his back to a more appropriate height.  I'm strongly considering
doing that.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline havasuhd

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »
Is that $138 individual or for the pair?

Here is what is says:
"1 COMPLETE PAIR (2 FACTORY SPRINGS) FOR REAR OF 1980-1983 AMERICAN MOTORS EAGLE 2-4 DR MODELS. SPRINGS HAVE 4 LEAVES, 2-1/2" WIDE, AND 52" IN LENGTH.  ALL BUSHINGS INCLUDED."

They are $90 and shipping is $48 to the lower 48 states.

Offline MetalBird

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Up The Irons!!! \m/
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 01:20:32 PM »
Why just the 80-83 years?
I would honestly be suspicious of any leaf springs that "cheap" considering everything now.
But I dont know.
1982 AMC Eagle Kammback
1986 AMC Eagle Sedan

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »
90 bucks seems too cheap to me for a pair.  I think JC Whitney wants over 120 apiece for Gremlin springs.  It was something like 120/pair on the front, though.  Don't know if they have Eagle ones, though.  Will Cherokee springs fit at the rear?  You could use somebody like Rubicon Express or some other trail shops for Jeeps.

Maybe write to some of the Jeep trail parts makes and ask them about starting up with Eagle rear springs, and point out there is a little market here that is not being served by existing vendors.  Because the existing vendors are making car stuff, not 4x4 stuff.  That seems to be obvious.  It doesn't have to ride like a truck to be able to trail run it, either.
mike
Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 02:21:53 PM »
Well anyone who has had problems with their ESPO springs could always call them and complain like I did, or ask about their manufacturing process......though Laura will swear up and down that its your fault and not their springs fault.

They are very defensive over there it seems.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »
I am sure they are until they get more complaints stating the same thing.  If you call them or mention it here, make sure you mention facts not opinions.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
I understand that some members lost money here, but let's consider that ESPO is one of not many suppliers for Eagle suspension parts.
I think it would be better to find a solution together with ESPO for this problem, so that future customers are better served.
They probably copied the Eagle springs and by doing that they copied the problem of tail sagging too.
I read that members who added a leaf have no problems, so maybe we can ask them to make a four leaf prototype.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 09:14:58 PM »
I'm not going out in the dark to count leaves, but isn't 4 leaves standard?
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline MetalBird

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Up The Irons!!! \m/
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
Yeah, mine came with 4 from them... so they should automatically be doing the add-a-leaf for us so we dont have to go thru the hassle of doing it ourselves 3 months later.
If anything maybe they could send us all the extra leaf kit.
1982 AMC Eagle Kammback
1986 AMC Eagle Sedan

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »
Why just the 80-83 years?

In the late 70's and early 80's I worked in a NAPA, we sold leaf springs and they had year model and application ink stamped on them in white, the name of the supplier just popped into my old brain, it was Columbus Trainor Spring in Columbus Ohio.
                                                                                                                 Eddie

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 01:36:42 AM »
Well when I called I didnt demand new springs or anything.

I just decided to ask for a discount on some new ones (again, I wasnt under warranty anymore and didnt notice how bad it really was because of my air shocks).

So technically they didnt have to do anything for me as I was out of warranty, but she ended up giving me a 20 or 25 percent discount on new ones.

I also ordered new centerbolts as well so I can take the new ones and combine a leaf or two (depending how many are in it) from the old ones which should hopefully level it out. My car is a little bit raised already in the front so I need to even out the back.

But the thing that started me posting this thread, is that they were absolutely positive that *I* somehow destroyed my leaf springs and caused them to flatten out, and that there is NOTHING wrong with the springs at all. Laura actually ENCOURAGED me to ask around becuase she said there would not be even a SINGLE complaint about their springs and that there must me something wrong with my car or wrong with the way I installed them.

She said that NO ONE would complain.....in fact it is seeming more like no one who HAS bought their leaf springs is completely satisfied with them as she claimed you all would be.

I must say though, the front coils have held up quite nicely on me...just the rear leaf springs have been a problem.

Offline havasuhd

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 03:01:34 AM »
I emailed McVeighs' Truck Springs, Inc. and asked about their springs and told them I was worried about them flattening out and here is the reply I got:

"Hello; These springs are manufactured by Standens Springs in Indianapolis. They have a very stringent quality control process, and offer a full replacement for 2 years. This means shipping, etc.--no charge. Thank you, Tom"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk