News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 04:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Having shift problems after trying to fix a bunch of leaks on the transmission.  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Kyamra

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
I have an 85 amc eagle

I went to jack the transmission up to get it off the cross member because I was putting in a different trans pan because the one I had was leaking and I wanted one with a drain anyways. This was the first time I had worked on any trans and I however didn't realize that I probably should have loosened up the shaft on the back end of the shift linkage and ended up jacking it too high and I don't know if it was that or being left up for a while on the jack but that threw it out of alignment and reverse ended up becoming neutral and decided that I would fix that after the leaks were taken care of. Later on after fixing said leaks I found that there was one last leak from the shift shaft seal which I lowered the trans and promptly replaced with much swearing involved. The real trouble started when I got everything back together and went to test the shifter, mind I hadn't fixed the reverse being neutral problem from before though, and it bound when I went to put it in park and after trying to monkey with it something snapped? And I could then move the shifter freely. I had a mechanic friend of mine have a look at it and  after trying to readjust the shift linkage it began binding again when trying to put it in park or anything past neutral. He suggested having a look at the neutral safety switch which I went and replaced because it ended up being bad. But after having it removed we found that the trans had full range of motion again and when we go to thread the nss back in it begins binding again. Anyone who isn't as inept with a transmission as I am that could help would be much appreciated.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Reading an AMC Eagle Technical Service Manual (TSM) or the MR (newer version of TSM) is a likely place to start.

You can also check the procedures for these two to ensure they're adjusted correctly, just in case that's contributing to your problem:

adjust the "kickdown", which is actually a throttle value for the auto transmission
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Throttle_Cable/Rod_Adjustment_-_4_%26_6_Cylinder_Cars

adjust the gear selector
https://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=46867.msg361848#msg361848

The rest is beyond me.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
p.s.
I realize you've got more issues going on with having lifted the transmission, but in case you end up removing the pan again...

There's this gasket for automatic transmission pans, which is supposed to have hugely cut down on Chrysler's warranty claims. No liquid gasket or other sealer used, just clean the surfaces and holes. Can be reused (saw post someone claimed Chrysler expects to reuse five times before requiring replacement).

MOPAR  4295875AC trans gasket - nylon over steel with molded-in double silicone sealing beads

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:50:40 PM by Canoe »

Offline Kyamra

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
p.s.
I realize you've got more issues going on with having lifted the transmission, but in case you end up removing the pan again...

There's this gasket for automatic transmission pans, which is supposed to have hugely cut down on Chrysler's warranty claims. No liquid gasket or other sealer used, just clean the surfaces and holes. Can be reused (saw post someone claimed Chrysler expects to reuse five times before requiring replacement).

MOPAR  4295875AC trans gasket - nylon over steel with molded-in double silicone sealing beads

Any tips I can use is good enough for me 😊

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Any luck?
Or are you going to have to take it to a shop?

Offline Kyamra

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Any luck?

I need to do a little more research but I found a diagram of a tf904 to reference off of. I need to have a look in the hole that the neutral safety switch screws into to see if anything is out of place and cross reference identifiable features to see if/what I might replace and whether I have to take the trans pan back off to work on it. I haven't really had the time to work on it properly yet but if it comes to it I'll see about having it rebuilt.

Offline Kyamra

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Any luck?

Alrighty now that i have had some to have a good look at it, i have discovered that after taking the trans pan back off for the fifteenth time it is the little green plastic piece that sits connected to the shift shaft and presses up against the neutral safety switch that is the problem. It is loose and is causing the metal piece it is connected to grind on the neutral safety switch which in turn causes it to bind and being that it seems to be riveted( if that is the right word to use)i am not sure exactly how to fix/replace it. I seriously hope i didn't screw myself but at least i now know the issue.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
... at least i now know the issue.
I guess that's the takeaway.
I'm still addressing a starter locating adaptor for the plate, but I'm wondering why my trans is leaking while standing since the starter Bendix gears blew. Wondering if torque converter or a seal has damage.

Offline Kyamra

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
... at least i now know the issue.
I...Wondering if torque converter or a seal has damage.
First you're going to want to clean the area where you think it's leaking then check for wet spots

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk