News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 09, 2024, 10:07:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: t5 manual, shift problem  (Read 3149 times)

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
t5 manual, shift problem
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »
Just took apart 2 t5's, looking for problems.   Both trannys have problems shifting from 3-2 and 2-1, as well as into 1 and 2 when standing still.   Part of the problem lies in the clutch; it was missing the clutch ball in the bellhousing, causing the clutch not to disengage totally.   This, I think, explains the problem of getting it into gear while standing still (no prob with engine off).
Seems to me that the brass syncros are at fault, but I don't see anything wrong with them.    The first tranny was almost empty of oil, and was charred inside.   The second tranny had gear oil in it.   

I have not taken the syncros/gears apart, just inspecting the gears while still in the tranny.

Any ideas?   
1983 Eagle SX/4, 6cyl 5 speed
1970 Camaro (undergoing restoration)
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1992 Chevrolet Blazer EV conversion; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver
1996 VW Golf Citistromer; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: t5 manual, shift problem
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
There is a good  shop manuel in the download section on t-4 and t-5. Gives all the specs etc.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:41 PM »
Have you tried shifting since replacing the pivot ball?

Make sure you are using the correct lubricant in the transmission.  Most T5 transmissions use ATF, NOT Gear oil.  That may be why the other trans is burnt up inside.  If you use gear oil when ATF is required, you may have problems shifting and you will cause extreme heat in the transmission that will cause the seals, bearings, bushings, etc to fail.

If you need parts, Vintage jeep, I think it is on the web under VJ. Parts are cheap and available.  I rebuilt my daughters T5 in her CJ7 for $600.  I replaced input and output shafts and third gear along with all new bearings, bushings, seals etc.  I met the father and son who own the business, great guys and very helpful, It is located in south Texas.
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:38:50 AM »
I have not tried shifting since I installed the clutch ball.     I inspected the brass synchro rings, and the teeth are worn a little.   Some of the teeth don't have a sharp point.   This is more noticeable on the 1st and 2nd gear syncros.    The steel gears all look ok.

I have ordered a synchro kit and seals, so I'll see how it goes after I get everything assembled.

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:01:54 AM »
The tranny is not installed yet, but it had been filled with thick gear oil.   Now it has transmission fluid.  I have put in the new synchro gears and new seals, etc.   Its ready to go in.   Just have to finish rebuilding the clutch cylinders first.    That's what started all this work, leaky clutch slave cylinder.   Now, the bellhousing, tranny, transfer case are all clean and shiny, the trans tunnel is cleaned up and undercoated, same for the brake and fuel lines.   Working my way towards the back of the car, I'm considering removing the rear axle and gas tank to clean up and undercoat the underside of the car.  It is easiest now, with the exhaust out of the car.   Seems almost as easy to remove the engine and clean it and the engine bay up at the same time.   If I do that, then I may as well rebuild the motor and make a stroker out of it.   I have a parts Cherokee sitting there just waiting for me to have time...   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk