News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 08:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ginger the 83 wagon  (Read 76659 times)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
Re: Ginger the 83 wagon
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2011, 02:08:22 AM »
What are your plans for the interior? If you're interested in my seats, I'll deliver, for a lil gas monies...
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
Id love to get those seats off ya....Were you able to get those other seats from that junk yard for your Eagle....and did that eagle happen to have descent back seats? Even if the color is different Im gonna have them re-done any way....Beside leather seats I want to get the headliner fixed, new carpet, and probably some guages...nothin real extreme...Someday down the road power windows and locks might be a possibility...but for now Im just gonna keep it simple......oh! and I want to get the windows tinted and a stereo too;D
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
Anyone here converted manual to electric with the window?

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 05:41:45 AM »
Anyone here converted manual to electric with the window?

Have not done it yet but the plan is to get rid of the dented rusty eagle doors that have manual windows/locks and change them out for the 4 doors off the old concord which has power windows/locks. Kind of a shame actually since the eagle doors function perfectly despite their massive dents and rust.

I imagine that the wiring will be the hard part.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
Thats what Im worried about...Electrical has never been a strong point of mine.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 03:44:06 AM »
From what I understand it's not a huge undertaking, at least, as far as wiring goes. As far as the mechanics ofit, that's different. You'd probably have to be lucky enough to find an eagle with power window/lock doors with the same color, from a junkyard, as the motors are riveted inside the door and I think the glass is secured in a different way.

I haven't had the chance to go yet, I'm going to soon though if I can, been way too busy at the shop lately (which is why I'm up so late :( ) I'll let you know when I do though, I definitely kinda want cinnamon back, my seats are a hair lighter, and since you're gettingj them redone anyway I'll just tell you up front the driver's side is pretty rough....

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
The motors are rivited in, but it's not hard to drill out the rivets and replace them with cap screws.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

AMC lifer

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
I know that there isn't a whole lot of room for storage with the spare, but could it be leftovers from what a previous owner put there?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
No worries man...Ive been super busy at the funeral home as well as the store so Ginger hasn't been getting the attention she needs either.....I was trying to work on her for at least 2 hours a night....but when I get off work at the store at 7pm then work at the funeral home till 11PM or later I'm just not up got goin out in a cold garage and turnin' wrenches. Besides that The upcoming projects for Ginger are the valve cover gasket, the oil pan gasket, and the rear main...all jobs Id like to get done in one shot...not drawn out over a couple nights....that kind of stuff id rather do in daylight fully rested. I'm holding off on the head gasket...It shows no sign of needing one and I am not wanting to risk any troubles with the head bolts at this time.

I'm not worried at all about the tears in the D.S. seat...Its a power seat!!! that's what I'm after!!! I'm gonna just leave the seats that are in Ginger there and save my money up and get the replacement seats reupholstered one at a time....hopefully an a few months time Ill have em all redone and then I can make the swap. I think its about 400 per seat but I'm sparing no expense on Ginger....I'm keepin her for a long time!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »
I would love power D.L. and P.W. in ginger but that will probably be one of the last things to get done....the cranks work fine and I rarely ever lock my car....I really just want them to say I have them. I used to always lock my doors but in my 82 coupe someone smashed out the window to steel a pack of cigarettes >:(...After that I just figured if someone wants somthing in it they're gonna take it....rather not be out a window on top of what ever they take. :-\

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2011, 12:39:21 AM »
Today I got ginger out of the garage and down to the the car wash...had a bit of a mishap which ill post about in the "dont do this" section. I got most of the crusted oil off the engine and got her vaccumed out...which was tricky as she was on a dolly. The interior cleaned up nice but it really does need new carpet and headliner, and id really like power leather seats. In due time though. Gotta get her running good first and I think this oil pan gaskets gonna be a real doozie!! Plus I lost a few of my labels on the vaccum lines at the car wash.... :censored:!!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2011, 12:45:11 AM »
I drained the tranny finally...what came out was....well....bad. It looked more like chunky choclate pudding than tranny fluid....Its going to need a good cleaning out at least...here's the consistency...bear in mind this was a clean drain pan when I dumped the trannys contents into it

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2011, 12:53:26 AM »
By the way...down the road, when I get ginger fitted with her new/old reupholsterd, power, pillowy, oh so beautiful leather seats, the seats that are in her now will likely be up for grabs in the freeby section...but like I said its quite a ways off....unless that is I hit the powerball...in that case were all getting new seats!!

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:07 AM »
By the way...down the road, when I get ginger fitted with her new/old reupholsterd, power, pillowy, oh so beautiful leather seats, the seats that are in her now will likely be up for grabs in the freeby section...but like I said its quite a ways off....unless that is I hit the powerball...in that case were all getting new seats!!

i'm gonna go to the yard this coming Monday to pick up the seats for my wagon, at which point my current ones will be completely available. Either you can come and pick them up completely free, or toss a lil gas coin my way and I'll bring them to you.

Don't plan on getting that oil pan gasket done in a day, whatever you do. I had nocoeagle's help in replacing his oil pan gasket, cylinder head gasket, valve cover gasket, and rear main and it still took over _40_ hours, a full week, and we both know our way around these things. You will need an assortment of large prybars, along with a good accurate torque wrench.. And get the one piece gasket, not the multipiece crap. Also, as cheap as they are, don't go for the cork valve cover gaskets unless you plan to use rtv on both valve cover and head, making it a pain later on during removal. My 4.0 valve cover leaks already, thanks to that.

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2011, 11:09:32 PM »
Yeah...I just got the specs on the oil pan job...it looks more like a week job...no problem though rather get it done right than quick. By the way is the rear main a one piece on theses motors???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk