News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Feed back carb, hei ignition??  (Read 3934 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Feed back carb, hei ignition??
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Is it possible to use the original Carter feedback carburetor with a Gm H.E.I. distributor?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Feed back carb, hei ignition??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:12:44 AM »
I had that setup for a while before getting the Weber 38 and didn't have any issues, the HEI is definitely a nice upgrade from the stock distributor

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:58:57 AM »
Before you pull the dist or mess with the wiring, turn the key on cold and unplug the connector on the back of the carb. Then it won't mess with the idle and it will not have too lean/too rich running happening. If you mod the HEI to use a later GM system, the distributors have a connector for computer controlled timing for EFI, but I'm not sure how to wire it to work with the BBD. TBI systems run them.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:32 AM »
     So When you say turn it on cold You mean key on but don't start then remove the connector from the stepper on the back of the carburetor? The distributor that I am using will be the early H.E.I. Another question I have is, when does the light on the dash for service emissions come on? I have never seen this light illuminated. Thank you both for the information I will be doing this tomorrow or later this week.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 01:36:01 AM »
Realistically, you should be able to wire up the HEI module in the exact way of the factory ignition module but without the resistor wire. This would provide the computer to still control ignition timing.

The "Ignition Maint" light was only used on the cars with the Iron Duke, and possibly the AMC 2.5, but was not used on models with the 258.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
     So When you say turn it on cold You mean key on but don't start then remove the connector from the stepper on the back of the carburetor? The distributor that I am using will be the early H.E.I. Another question I have is, when does the light on the dash for service emissions come on? I have never seen this light illuminated. Thank you both for the information I will be doing this tomorrow or later this week.

Yes. Key on cold but not running. Pull the plug and be done with it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »
Realistically, you should be able to wire up the HEI module in the exact way of the factory ignition module but without the resistor wire. This would provide the computer to still control ignition timing.

Ford, GM, and MSD all use the same trigger system. It should work just fine. In fact there are write-ups on using a HEI module and remote coil with the stock (or aftermarket) distributor.

NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk