News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission leak...from neutral safety switch?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Transmission leak...from neutral safety switch?
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:59:13 PM »
Just changed the transmission fluid after the dipstick broke off at the end...used a 727 stick that doesn't have the weird bend in it and it is an exact fit.  Anyway, used the the Crown gasket w the metal liner, made sure pan flange was flat, surfaces clean, used some grease on the gasket, threadlocker blue on the bolts and tightened to spec...and it leaked!  Retightened and it helped but still had a leak.  further investigation and it appears there is fluid dripping from the neutral safety switch.  Any suggestions on this (ie: how to get to it, how to reseal, etc.)?  Thanks.
Marty

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Transmission leak...from neutral safety switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
It's pretty easy to get to, although if I remember correctly you have to remove the front drive shaft.  Removing and replacing the switch is easy also.

There is also a seal that could be leaking, can't remember exactly which one it is but Eagleman had to replace his.  He took it to a shop and I think it took less than an hour for it to be replaced. 

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: Transmission leak...from neutral safety switch?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
Before changing the nss might want to have a look at the shift shaft seal. After several pan gasket changes and a new Summit aluminum trans pan and gasket I still had a leak and me like you thinking its the nss I purchased a new nss but before changing I read somewhere about this shift shaft seal so got to looking around on ebay and found several kits available and pretty inexpensive and some even come with the install tool. So I decided to try this first before changing the nss. Took it to our local shop as they have a hoist and much easier then laying on my back on the garage floor. Took less the a hour and presto no more leak. To this day its the best twenty dollars I've ever spent bar none! Seal is located on the drivers side left front corner right above the trans pan which when leaking gives the impression its the nss or the pan gasket. Just ask me how I know!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk