News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 09:51:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2wd/4wd manual shifter  (Read 5328 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
2wd/4wd manual shifter
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
While my transmission is out for a rebuild I wanted to put in a low range case. It turns out there is something wrong with my np128 anyways so it's perfect timing. While looking at the range selector from the Jeep that gets mounted on the transmission tunnel, I thought maybe with some creative engineering someone could make it shift the 2wd/4wd on the 129/128 cases. I have an idea to make a "twin stick" which would go in the same location as the stock Jeep selector but I'm not a fabricator. They would both share the same hole. The 2-4wd selector would be a hollow tube with bearings or bushing which the hi/low selector would travel through with separate levers on the inside and outside that would shift the case. I'll post a pic of the stock range selector later, I should have already been in my van and on the road.  ;D
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: 2wd/4wd manual shifter
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »
The 229 4lo shifter found in fsj's swaps right over to identical spot on the eagle.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
The 229 4lo shifter found in fsj's swaps right over to identical spot on the eagle.
I realize that. However, what I'm proposing is that someone may be able to use it as a 2/4wd selector instead of the vacuum on a 129/128 case with some modifications.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
Got it now. I would think it should be relatively the same. Meaning only a minor mod

Manitowoc WI

Offline neweagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »
Hey, I did this to my 82 4dr. The tc vacuum motor is not strong enough to shift into or out of 4wd. I welded a tab onto the existing lever still attached to the vacuum motor. By moving a short lever that extends past the floor boards to this tab, I can still operate the front axle by helping the tc motor to move and port vacuum to the front axle. Buy the way are the tc vacuum motors available anywhere? anymore?

Offline Mader631

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Can I manually bypass the Vacum 4x4???  My Vacum lines must have an air leak!!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk