News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 01:02:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pulse Air tubes  (Read 3427 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Pulse Air tubes
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:58:54 PM »
I've been tracing some lines to check what would have to change for a Carter/Motorcraft carb upgrade and realize I'll more than likely have to retire the stock air cleaner system to do so. A modified vacuum route looks pretty simple to me but after all is said and done, I'm left with two pulse air hoses that aren't routed anywhere. What do you guys usually do about this? What options can be explored? I don't live in a smog area but I might move to one in the near future(READ:MONSTERFORNIA) and I want to be able to weigh all of my options of how to modify this system.

Just so you have an idea as to how lost I am, I first considered routing one air line straight into the other. Not sure how that would go but I'm sure at least one person here probably considers that pretty stupid. :/

This is a good visual of what I've got. :)
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Pulse Air tubes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
i don't know if you've figured it out yet, but you can just plug them up...i cut the rubber on mine down to the big check valves where the lines switch to metal and plugged them with rubber stoppers and hose clamps. i left just enough hose on the valve to cram the stoppers in. that's an easy way, other way is to remove them completely and weld the hole in the cat shut and the other side is attached to intake/exhaust, i forget which.
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
I've seen the inexpensive valve-cover breathers inserted into them. You just need to keep the dust out so it doesn't damage the reed valves and vacuum valves, using the stock air cleaner was just convenient from an engineering & maintenance perspective.

You could also get some JB weld and some tin snips and just epoxy the base from the Motorcraft carb air cleaner onto the bottom of the stock air cleaner. Most emissions places would never dig around enough to notice the difference.

Use a CTO valve connected to manifold vacuum to activate the upstream valve when the engine is cold and the downstream when the engine is hot, that closely mimics the way the computer controlled them. It'll pass tailpipe emissions tests that way and not overheat the cat.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:34:18 PM by BenM »
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
I was digging through my stuff and found an '82 intake/exhaust without the AIR ports in the exhaust manifold. If I don't do the 4.0L head swap and EFI, I may swap it in.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk