News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 06:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine restricting emission removal  (Read 25816 times)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Engine restricting emission removal
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
This section on Wikipedia is pretty much the straight poop as I understand it on the way our cat is set up.

That's why, for instance, an engine running rich with upstream air injection stuck on will cause a cat to overheat. Too much fuel.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

rohnk

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
That article does give a good understanding of how they operate.

OK, I guess I will get back to it for a little while.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09:04 AM »
If it is a feedback carb, there is a stepper motor on the back side of the carb, which has a square 5 wire connector going into it. Also there is a TPS which is just on the passenger side, and has 3 wires going into it. If the carb has been swapped, those won't be on a non-feedback carb, but the harnesses should still be there.

Also,are there 3 vacuum solenoids on top the valve cover? Are there 3 vacuum switches on the passenger side fender across from the distributor? If yes, your car definitely had a feedback carb at one point.

No stepper or stepper plug. None on the emission diagram when I glanced at it too. Tag says 1981 CA emissions certified or words to that effect (Whoa! Wonder if they meant Canada?)

AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
No stepper or stepper plug. None on the emission diagram when I glanced at it too. Tag says 1981 CA emissions certified or words to that effect (Whoa! Wonder if they meant Canada?)
It's definitely California, however you can't have air injection and a feedback carb on the same vehicle. The computer's feedback functionality would be disabled by the air dilution. (It's conceptually possible, I bet it has been done.)
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

rohnk

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
BenM, I beg to differ. I removed a feedback carb and the dual air injection setup on my vehicle. Still in process.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
Dual air injection was used on the 82 models which used the feedback carbs. And 81 Concords/Spirits also have dual air injection with a feedback carb as well. Mine still has it. The computer routes the the air from the air pump to the catalytic converter when the engine is warm. If it injected it into the exhaust manifold, it would completely throw off the O2 sensor. Air was only directed upstream during open loop operation.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
BenM, I beg to differ. I removed a feedback carb and the dual air injection setup on my vehicle. Still in process.

Yeah, you're right and I should have known that; my old parts car was an 82. It seemed like such a complex work-around in my head when I was thinking about it yesterday.

I just checked my feedback system supplement. It doesn't have a diagram of the hoses, though. Does it still use the injection manifold in the exhaust manifold over the exhaust valves?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:59:29 PM by BenM »
NSS#47184

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »
It has the air injection manifold still. But the vacuum solenoid on the far passenger side on top of the valve cover controls a valve that either directs air into the manfiold, or into the catalytic converter. When there is no vacuum allowed to the valve, air is directed upstream, when the solenoid turns off, vacuum passes through the solenoid to air valve, and air is directed downstream.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:47:16 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan

rohnk

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
I don't think the computer controlled all of this switching. There are vaccuum lines that go from the CTO to the air diverter and downstream feed to the cat. When the engine gets hot, the CTO opens to alow vaccuum pressure to switch the diverter on/off. The oxygen sensor would measure the amount of air and the computer would richen or lean the mixture based on those readings.

There is no wiring from the ECO to the air pump or any of the valves on my 82. All controlled by vaccuum and temp sensors.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
I'm sorry but you are incorrect. While all the valves for the air injection systems are all mechanical vacuum valves, the computer does play a large part in it, because the vacuum for those mechanical valves is controlled by the ECM. The CTO valve does not do anything for the air injection system.

In the photo, the solenoids marked "upstream solenoid" and "divert solenoid" are electrical solenoids controlled by the ECM. They are connected to vacuum hoses, when the solenoid is energized by the computer, vacuum does not flow. When they are not energized by the computer, vacuum is allowed to flow. So on a cold startup, the ECM will energize the upstream solenoid, vacuum cannot pass the valve, and the mechanical air valve directs air to the air injection manifold. When the car warms up, the computer de-energizes the solenoid, and vacuum can then pass, which flows to the mechanical air valve, and directs the air to the catalytic converter.

All together, in 1982, the computer did 4 things: control air/fuel mixture, control ignition timing, control air injection solenoids, and controlled idle speed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:23:40 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan

rohnk

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
Ok, I give. You are correct. I totally forgot about the two solenoids. I remember taking them out as part of the vac system on the passenger firewall IIRC.

Thanks for clarifying that. This is becoming a great thread for learning about the emissions and vaccuum systems.

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
emissions is extremely simple if you install the motorcraft, virtually all vacuum lines except carb -> distributor, 4x4, and cruise can go.  cto can be plugged, and the line to the egr valve can simply be removed if it was functioning correctly before being disconnected, since it is naturally closed.  the pulse air lines going to the cat can be plugged however you wish (i have mine plugged right before the metal lines going to the cat leave the engine bay since it was easier than welding shut)

then you can hook up carb bowl vent to the canister, and fuel tank to canister, and you're pretty much done.

you can also remove a ton of wiring and the computer itself since all sensors will be inactive without the feedback carb.  i took out mine and about half the wiring harness came with it.
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

rohnk

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
I'm removing the EGR and CTO as well. I want to remove the computer at some point. I will save that project for another day.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Be sure if you are to retain your A/C that you hook that vacuum line back up to your heater controls as well, not needed with the upgraded carb though.

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 08:23:12 AM »
forgot to mention the computer is hidden beneath the passenger side wall trim panel under the dash. you'll know it when you see it...
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk