News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:18:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cold idle help- need your ideas  (Read 5261 times)

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Cold idle help- need your ideas
« on: December 21, 2014, 01:46:53 PM »
1984 amc eagle wagon 258 and motorcraft carb swap

This is the first winter i have had the eagle running well enough to be able to tell it is not running well.  :)  heres what is going on.

When it is cold outside and the engine is cold the car will not idle. Starts great and runs good once the engine achieves peak temp. However if it is cold you simply cannot take your foot off of the gas pedal or the car dies.  I have very little vaccuum left on this car and the only place i could conceive of a vacc leak is at the carb base. My idea right now is that there is a vacc leak there, but as the engine gets hot the metal expands and closes the leak when warm. I think i can get a vacc gauge and test when engine  warm and cold to rule this out?

Otherwise i am not sure what is going on and would love some ideas...do i need to adjust carb for cold weather? 
The only other issue that could be related is that the car seems to have a strange "glitch"... every so many seconds while idling the engine will lose power. The Rpm and volt meter will both fall and the it will bounce right back. I do not know what is causing this either

thanks for any help!

james

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Cold idle help- need your ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »
What is the choke doing

Manitowoc WI

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
Do you electric choke? Sounds like it's not working
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »
electric choke, but i do not think it is working.  The connection is kinda iffy .. Is there a set voltage i should be getting from the wire to the choke?  can i check it with ohm meter?

thanks
James

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
The power to the choke only shows when the motor is running because it passes through a switch on the motor. If you have a gauge, it's 2 prong. With idiot light it's 3 prong. If it's leaking oil, it's cracked and like mine did, about to blow off (on I-5 at 2AM on sunday night in the rain)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
12V with key in On position

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
12V with key in On position

And motor running. Does it open up as it is warming up?

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
Also make sure the ground is getting to the outside ring. I just cleaned mine off because the choke wasn't grounding and not opening too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk