News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:03:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38815 times)

Offline kcinenoel

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
Hi all,
My partner and I were the 3rd or4th owners of the SX4.  We found it in a chicken coop in MO.
The "coil over" is a 3rd spring used on circle track modified no longer available from what I can tell.
The hubs were turned down to fit the front Eagle rotors.  A front Eagle caliper was used with 2 inner pads to try to compensate for the large rotor.
The radiator was from a Cherokee V8.  The compression ratio of the motor was reported to be 11 to 1.
I had the trans rebuilt with a different valve body and it will go into1st gear at any speed.  Be careful.
The wiring: it worked and we left it alone.
Vapor lock. Well not unusual, our 401 V8 Gremlin rally car had the same problem.  Look at the fuel line from the tank near the exhaust and on the firewall near the exhaust manifold.
Axle ratios were special,  Dean had an AMC connection and I believe those were provided by AMC.  I don't believe there are any 4:11 gears available.
My partner and I didn't have a lot of money to update the car most parts were used from the pullapart yard.
Expenses to rally could run $2000 for an event.
WE live in Colorado and ran the car in Westcliff Colorado, Grove OK, and Prescott AZ for about 3 or 4 years.

Nick Leone
720-289-2813
Westminster CO.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the info. Good to keep lineage on this car.  I got it from Bruce in OH.
Ted

Offline kcinenoel

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2021, 06:52:22 PM »
New from speedway https://tinyurl.com/y6khzy6w
similar to the unit I  used in front suspension.

Nick

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2021, 08:02:35 PM »
Very similar and affordable.  The lower eyelets were broken at the heim joint.  Replaced with  beefier ones.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2021, 08:40:28 AM »
Update:  the Rally Eagle has been sold!  Enjoy the car Bruce!  It's ready to rumble!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk