News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Got steam?  (Read 9565 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Got steam?
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: Got steam?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »
Very cool pic, maybe this will be an EOM category someday?

Thanks for sharing, I love steam engines, drag the family out to everyone of them I can find running so we can take a ride or visit a train museum

Nothin like the sound of a steam engine or especially a steam whistle!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »
Nothin like the sound of a steam engine or especially a steam whistle!

Amen!

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
Awesome pic!
They even look alike (silver & black)!  ;)
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »
That train looks really cool sitting next to the Eagle   ;)
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:15:06 PM »
The steam locomotive is a Union Pacific "Big Boy". There were 25 of these monsters built between 1941 and 1944, all of them for the Union Pacific. Last I knew there were eight surviving Big Boys; none are currently in operating condition.

As to where the Eagle is, this locomotive is #4012, and it's at Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA. So I'm guessing that's also where the Eagle is. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
The steam locomotive is a Union Pacific "Big Boy". There were 25 of these monsters built between 1941 and 1944, all of them for the Union Pacific. Last I knew there were eight surviving Big Boys; none are currently in operating condition.

As to where the Eagle is, this locomotive is #4012, and it's at Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA. So I'm guessing that's also where the Eagle is. :eagle:

DING DING DING we have a winner!

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
Eggs for the pic, Zoro!
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:32:07 PM »

DING DING DING we have a winner!
I've wondered what the prize for winning this "where izzit" would be. I figured it would be a lump of coal from the Big Boy's tender. Then I remembered that Big Boys were oil burners. Oops I goofed...Big Boys were coal burners. I was thinking of the Challenger locomotive, similar to but smaller than a Big Boy. The Challenger is... Union Pacific has one in operating condition...an oil burner. I still most likely am outta luck :eagle:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:24:22 AM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »

My buddy is into model HO scale trains, and I gotta say that train is from my favorite era.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 10:41:11 AM »
The Union Pacific is considering restoring one.  Apparently only one is a good candidate.  The problem then is where to run it as they were designed for the western prairie states with minimal grades and gradual curves -- so its territory would be limited.   They were the last of their kind and were already obsolete when built.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
you are right IE, the deal on it is done and will be towed from cali to Cheyenne to be completely restored at the UP steam shop. from what I understand they will be using 6 engines to tow it.(3front&3back) and the trip should take about 2 weeks. LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
That is good to hear.  It was a long time coming.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk