News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 09:58:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: forged rods?  (Read 11025 times)

68AMXGOPAC

Re: forged rods?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »
Have you ever towed or carried 55 gal. drums of liquid ?? LOL, not an easy or fun thing when it gets sloshing around,let alone the weight.I would think your adding close to 1,000 lbs. easy with the trailer. BUT , then again , you certainly would have the motor to pull it !!Sounds cool , looks like you have it thought out.

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
Once this motor is built I wanna see some power numbers :D
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
Intake closes at 34 degrees after bottem dead center the calculator I'm useing is a bit confusing so its either 10.5 or 11.9 dynamic CR if I got the 4.06 stroke crank its either 11.6 or 12.4 dynamic cr, o and I talked to a friend of mine in flordia that builds jeep stroker motors all day long and he said the stock rods and crank would be plenty stong for the CR ill probably get the apr bolts just to be safe and later when I have the cash ill swap to the 4.06 crank with forged rods
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:33:09 PM by Demigawd »

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
Ok I checked a couple diffren calculaters and its the larget of the two numbers so my dynamic CR with the 3.895 stroke is 11.9 and with the 4.06 stroke it would be 12.4

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »
Ok I checked a couple diffren calculaters and its the larget of the two numbers so my dynamic CR with the 3.895 stroke is 11.9 and with the 4.06 stroke it would be 12.4

:o that is some high dcr!

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 03:09:13 AM »
After much reading online and advice from many people I'm just going to stick with the stock rotating assimbly I've came to the conclusion that if I wanted to reach higher rpm's I would need the forged rotation asembly but at that point I would more than likely want to swap to EFI and a full roller rocker and roller cam asembly but since I'm sticking with low rmp torque and probably not going over 4-5000 rmps the cast rotating asemble is going to be just fine :-) yes 11.9 DCR is very high but being ran with ethenal and methenal it will work out as my sweet spot at about 260 psi per cylinder

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 07:12:59 AM »
You could allways have them shot peened and balanced ??I know with the AMC V-8 , it adds to achieve a higher rpm. range.

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
I was achally just thinking about doing that lol

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
while it will definately make for a more reliable and smoother running engine, the amc 6's have a crank harmonic that prevents too high rpm, and will actually snap the crank. it looks like if you can rev through it fast youll be fine but staying in that rpm range will definately snap it.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »
You could allways have them shot peened and balanced ??I know with the AMC V-8 , it adds to achieve a higher rpm. range.

Good idea.  Remove any stress risers and match them weight wise.

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »
  Talk about a rolling bomb, WOW, I think you may want to check into the legality of having drums of gas (any kind) in the back of your car. or in a trailer. Most external tanks have to be DOT approved, I don't think a drum falls under that ratting.

Just my thoughts, but good luck with your project, sounds like fun!!

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:18 PM »
Federal law stats that anyone can carry up to 119 gallon of methanol for personal use without placs or a permit in red plastic drums clearley labeled methanol and two 55 gal drums is only 110 gallons :-) as for my rpm's with the ax15 tranny swap I'm going to do any my tire size ill be going 130 mph at 3k rpms so I really don't think I will need to hit my red line of 4-5k rpm like ever so I won't have to worrie about the crank snapping :-)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »
If you want to maintain those speeds you're going to need a lot more work than you think. Driving an Eagle to 120 is scary on a stock (or mildly upgraded) front end, and I've upgraded to poly bushings and a sport rear swaybar. You will need to do a LOT of work to that car to make it stable enough to go that fast, and consider that you're dealing with 120 gallons x 8.6Lbs per gallon, which means you won't be able to stop. Our brakes are terrible for coming to a stop from highway speeds, it doesn't take much to get them fading. I've towed 2000+lbs behind mine for decent distances and it has a huge effect on the braking. Also, in order to pull those RPMs at that speed, you would need 2.35 gears and much larger tires than stock. That combination will also break your in town gas mileage and acceleration, and you will need to make a very respectable amount of power in order to even attain those speeds.

Also, the 4.0 head swap will put your power into the midrange, and add tons of top end. If you never make it past the 3500 rpm mark, you're missing out on a lot of power. A 4.0 head swapped 258 pulls hard all the way to 5000 rpm. Keep in mind the 4.0 was tuned to make its maximum horsepower at 4500 - 5000 rpm depending on year and head casting, and max torque in the low 3s.

Also.. getting caught driving more than 100 mph in most states constitutes an automatic arrest and can include felony reckless driving. I lost my license in the past for points and speeding, it's just not worth it. There's no way a policeman would go easy on someone driving that fast in a 25+ year old large station wagon.

I'm not trying to shoot you down, I'm all for people building their dream eagles, just make sure you have all of your bases covered ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:45:47 PM by tougeagle »
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 01:47:21 AM »
I really dident expect to go 120 on the highway its already got 27 inch tires on it and right now I'm debating weather to stick with my 2.35 gearing or to swap to 3.08 with a dana 44 swap for duribility and rear disc breaks I am doing the front end also due to some controle are problumes I have right now my lower right controle are is cracked and the upper left one is well idk how its holding togather still really swapping to poly bushing and I would only be towing the barrels for cross country driving not for everywhere I go there's plenty of e 85 stations around where I live. The head swap makes it ezer for the motor to breath I'm not taking the 4.0 cam which would put it at mid range rpm I'm swapping to a even lower range cam than stock it will be very torque in the range's I'll be running it I wish I could find some better quality ring and pinnon gears for the 2.35 if I could id much reather stay with the lower gearing gives me better highway milage lol cruzing at 1.5k rmp's running 65 mph I wonder if the motor will have the backbone to pull that off. I do have high hopes for my bird after I get the motor broke in ill have it dyno'ed and run strait here to post the results :-P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk