News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:22:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using common sense while working on a car  (Read 11930 times)

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
Using common sense while working on a car
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »
I figured I'd make a post, just to remind everyone [especially with spring coming] BE SAFE!
Two owners of different performance shops around here have passed away because they didn't take an extra minute.

The first one had his car running in his garage with the door closed, and his wife found him unconscious.. I'm really surprised, he was an INCREDIBLY smart guy.  Even if you are going to run the car for a minute, open the garage door or if you have an exhaust vent, use it.

I also just learned that a guy I went to highschool with's brother, who owns a performance shop was killed the other day, he wasn't using jack stands and the jack either slipped, or didn't hold pressure and the car came down ontop of him.

Just a reminder, use common  sense and be safe!

and make sure to use safe equipment

About a month ago, one of the hydraulic lines blew on one of the hoists, and they didn't have the locks engaged, the car dropped straight to the ground. The locks sometimes stuck on, so the guy using it had actually bypassed the locks some time ago, and nobody noticed.

it only takes a few extra minutes, and it could save your life.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: Using common sense while working on a car
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:24 AM »
Ill second that Sunny!!!...I work in the funeral buisness and Ive seen ALOT of people that died in very preventable shop related mishaps...a few months ago we had a guy who crawled into a large grain auger, while running, to pull out an abstruction...not pretty!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:30:25 AM »
I would also have to agree with this.  I was changing a tire at my old job a couple of years ago.  I was doing a favor for a coworker.  Since I did not have my Eagle with me I was using a bottle jack the company had.  And I did not have anything to use to chock the rear tires.  Never going to do that again.  Although I engaged the parking brake the car rolled off the jack as soon as I lifted the front wheel off the ground.  Luckily it just slowly set the car back on the wheel. 

So I repositioned the jack and tried again.  This time it was fine.  Fine until I got the wheel off.  As soon as I did it rolled again.  Luckily I still had the spare under the hub assembly.  All it did was set down.  Could have been a lot of damage.

I also go out to my buddy Kenny's 90% of the time I work on my cars.  Anyone who was at the Omaha meet has seen his shed and understands.  He always tells me to go ahead and use it whenever I want; including if they are not home.  A generous offer, however I always make sure he or his wife are home when I go out there especially when changing oil and rotating tires.  I never lift a vehicle without someone else there.  Besides they are good at distracting Morgan who would like nothing more than to "Help Daddy fix it."
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:41:04 AM »
EGGcellent advice.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
I picked up a cheap plastic pair of wheel chocks a little while ago. They nest together. I keep them in my trunk.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
I picked up a cheap plastic pair of wheel chocks a little while ago. They nest together. I keep them in my trunk.

I have a set of those in all three cars.  The ones in the Eagle are a little more substantial.  They are solid rubber.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
all i have to say is beware of the bmw jacks. i changed a tire on one for a lady a while back. i am lucky i had the wheels blocked and my bottle jack was to big for the lil bmw. needless to see the bmw jack folded in half just as i was pulling the tire off, smashing my right arm between the rear fender and tire.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
all i have to say is beware of the bmw jacks. i changed a tire on one for a lady a while back. i am lucky i had the wheels blocked and my bottle jack was to big for the lil bmw. needless to see the bmw jack folded in half just as i was pulling the tire off, smashing my right arm between the rear fender and tire.
That's horrible. Hope your injury isn't too bad.

Here's a short list of my safety guidelines.

1. Wear eye protection! When grinding or cutting metal wear safery glasses and a face shield.
2. Make sure vehicle is secure on jackstands before going under it.
Shake the car hard to make sure it will stay on the stands.
3. Always have a fire extinguisher within reach.
4. Disconnect the battery. I can't remember which forum I read it, but a guy had his front jacked up withe rear tires on the ground. It was a manual transmission car with the solenoid on the stater. He jumped the solenoid on accident with a wrench and the car lurched forward and came off the stands.

Take a minute to think, "What can happen?" And then take the appropriate actions to stay safe.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk