News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 11:21:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T5 swap question  (Read 3663 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
T5 swap question
« on: September 10, 2016, 03:47:14 AM »
Ok so if I'm not mistaken we have np228 or 229's behind the torqueflite automatics but the jeep cj's had Dana 300's.
What's the difference in mounting and splines. Will our transfer case bolt on to the back of a t5 out of a jeep cj?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: T5 swap question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
We actually have 128's 86 onlyish. Or 129''s on most. 80 had somthing else. The difference is we do have the 2 speed transfer case. It is easily convertee to the 2 speed case however. There is even a spot on the floor where the shift lever would have went. I am going to say you can put a cj gear box in. pretty certain it has been done. I have no first hand knowledge however.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:33:01 AM »
Ok well I'm still on the lookout
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 12:17:08 AM »
Jeep T5 and Eagle T5 are identical. Just make sure you get one from a 6 cyl. if you have a 6 and vice versa for a 4.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:05:59 AM »
Mudkicker
So the only difference between a 128 and a 228 is the 228 has the low gear.

Eaglefreek
Thank you I know where I can get an sr4 but it's out of a 4 banger so no good on that

Do either of you know if the sr4 crossmember is compatible with the t5?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »
From the pedia
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Automatic_to_Manual_Transmission_Swap

I tried his swap idea with rubber sidewalltire thing. I remember it not working. I couldn't find anthing about your xmember question.

Your correct on the t case.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »
Here's another question about the swap. Is the jeep 258 flywheel the same? I really can't see it being different but rock auto does not list a flywheel for the eagle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk