News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 04:00:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 82 SX4 Auto Trans TBI Conversion Questions 258  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
82 SX4 Auto Trans TBI Conversion Questions 258
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:43:36 PM »
Hello All,

Okay so I upgraded to a TBI system.  I completely ruined my kick down cable/rod bracket  for the tranny kick down.  Did I just screw myself?  Am I going to ruin my trans without it? 

Can i just set the kick down cable  at wide open throttle and that it or is there more to it since I no longer have the stock system?  Please advise.
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: 82 SX4 Auto Trans TBI Conversion Questions 258
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »
Without it yes you will ruin your tranny.
However one of my eagles did not have it i suspect it was in the wot position. It lasted years that way with no problems.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.  That's good to know.  Did you have a cable running to the rod or did it go all the way to the tranny?  I guess I'll just manually shift through the gears to keep the pressure up in the tranny. 

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »
I suppose since the I am not using the stock pull down setup on the throttle body the bracket doesn't matter. I just need to some how make sure the valve moves at the same percentage as the throttle. Hmmmm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:47:34 PM by Beaverseagle »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
I would not drive it until it is fixed. Manually shifting will not prevent your tranny from destructing.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »
try a LOKAR cable system, good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk