News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 09:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clutch Bleeding Procedure  (Read 2542 times)

Offline RookieSX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Clutch Bleeding Procedure
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:38:19 AM »
I think there should be a sticky on how to properly bleed the eagle's hydraulic clutch. I search and come across thousands of posts with many people suffering from the same few issues...

anyway I am having trouble getting all of the air to come out. I just fully rebuilt my clutch system (Repaired firewall, new master, new slave, new lines, new bolts, thoroughly cleaned and re-used reservoir). If I recall don't you have to rig something up to fully compress the slave in before you bleed the system? I believe that was my problem last time but that was probably 6 years and 100 posts ago....
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 w/2.5l Iron Duke and no 2wd-4wd switch!

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Clutch Bleeding Procedure
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
I was able to bleed mine after replacing the slave cylinder without doing that (compressing the slave piston).  I didn't have a helper, so I used a 'speed bleeder' valve (around $6, I think).

The Eagle seems to have a lot of built-in slop at the top of the clutch pedal movement before it engages the piston.  Maybe that's what you're feeling?

Good luck,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
I used a bicycle pump to pressure bleed many hydraulic clutch systems. (I bought one specifically for it and lubed the pump seal with PBR rubber grease to avoid contamination) I added a valve to an old clutch master lid or used a bike inner tube with just the valve and a chunk of the hose next to it clamped over the reservoir and the other way vulcanized shut to make a "bag". it takes very little pressure this way and I only crawled out twice to refill the master while doing it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »
When I replaced my master and slave cylinders, I did the standard helper method of compressing the pedal then letting fluid out. Didn't work perfectly so I did a gravity bleed after that and it seemed to cure my issues

Offline RookieSX/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
in my scenario I gravity bled, I then used a helper to hold the pedal while I cracked the bleeder...a ton of air came out but after doing this for awhile the pedal still had no feel and the slave cyl has 0 movement so either its still filled with air or I have a more serious issue.
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 w/2.5l Iron Duke and no 2wd-4wd switch!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk