News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 12:58:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: transmission removal?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
transmission removal?
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »
Where is the how to for transmission removal automatic? I've been searching for hours. Im just stuck on the throttle linkage removal and what does the book mean by mark propeller shaft and yoke and mark converter rive plate and converter for assembly reference mean?

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: transmission removal?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
The linkages are press-fit. I take a pair of pliers and pop them out with one jaw on the metal part and the other on the end of the linkage where it comes through the plastic retainer. That's so I don't bend the parts on the transmission. They can then just hang there with the transmission out.

Marking the parts just means before disassembly a line chalk or a punch mark is made to line up everything just as it came off. The converter marking is because all the bolts into the flywheel only fit one way.

You're going to have to re-position everything anyway for the new parts.

Here's a little bit on removal, at least a picture of where I placed jacks: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36676
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »
Ben,

Not to be a stickler, but on an automatic it's not a flywheel(as there is almost no weight), but rather a flexplate, and since we are talking about taking the trans out, the bolts it refers to go thru that flexplate into the torque converter, and unless yours is different than mine those two(the torque converter & flexplate) can actually line up in 4 different positions.  Now as to if  there is really any reason to line those two back up is more than a  little questionable as they are neutral balanced seperatly from the factory...

Personally I question if getting the drive shaft/yoke back in the same position even matters, I've done it both ways & can't say I've seen or felt a difference

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
The torque convertor only lines up one way to the flexplate.

Manitowoc WI

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
Really?!? I guess I have the odd-ball then, I just went and lined up an extra flexplate to the torque converter that is in the TF999 I may put in my wagon, the holes are nicely centered in all four positions, now the flex plate to the crank is a WHOLE other story...

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »
Yours was delivered and installed by aliens. haha. not certain on the 999 cannot remember on the 727, butt the 998 is one position only.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »
Yeah, good catch on "flexplate"  :-\ I've had manual transmissions on the mind lately. 

I've never marked the yoke either. The only part I can think of that's really important that way is the drive shaft. I would mark both of them on the off chance I manage to drop something and pull it apart, as the u-joints need to be lined up correctly. I always pick up a spare u-joint or two ahead of time. I usually decide one is worn or drop a cap and send needle bearings everywhere.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »
yeah why would the yoke need to be marked? if i replaced everything with something new, the new part wouldn't be marked  :P

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
Yeah, good catch on "flexplate"  :-\ I've had manual transmissions on the mind lately. 

I've never marked the yoke either. The only part I can think of that's really important that way is the drive shaft. I would mark both of them on the off chance I manage to drop something and pull it apart, as the u-joints need to be lined up correctly. I always pick up a spare u-joint or two ahead of time. I usually decide one is worn or drop a cap and send needle bearings everywhere.

Yup if your in need of needle bearing come here theres probably four thousand of them on my floor!

Your lucky you have a lift, I'm going to doing this while the car is on jackstands!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk