News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 11:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Hatchling on the Hunt!  (Read 2182 times)

23baseball3

A Hatchling on the Hunt!
« on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
Hey guys!
I have been looking at this forum for a solid year maybe, but now that I have my temporary I guess I should join up here. I am nearly 16, and I am able to get my license in June. I got into AMC's by myself actually, my dad is not a fan of them (huge car guy, my whole family is) and nobody else cares about them that I know. I found an AMC Spirit on craigslist about three years ago and I fell in love with the car. I have been carefully and meticulously researching cars for a solid six years, what to buy, what to avoid, what might be OK, or whatever. But, once I found the Spirit I decided to look them up and look up AMC in general. Sure I knew that there were the Javelins and Gremlins and the Pacer (Wayne's World!!!) but I'd never seen the Spirit. And then shortly after I find out that there's a 4WD Spirit called the Eagle?! Now, that's all I want to drive. I don't want to buy anything else for a first car. So for the last three years I've combed craigslists and everything across the country, one by one. Until I stumbled across searchtempest.com, which lets you search every craigslist across the country!! So I am on the hunt for a cheap SX/4 project, maybe even a Wagon or 2 door. I've found a couple within 400 miles or so (I'm near Akron, OH) , but they aren't responding. Anyways I'm here to learn and hopefully show off a car here in a few weeks or so. Thanks for having me!

-Dominic  :amc:  :eagle: 

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: A Hatchling on the Hunt!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
I'm in KC and I know where there is or was a wagon in good running shape and a daily driver. My 80 wagon is not running currently and has a title issue. But for a wagon..this other seems good. The owner repaired some rust in the driver dogleg. Check the KC list for AMC. If its not sold should be there as an 83.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
Thanks for becoming a Denizen!  You are doing this right.  Researching your options and learning the pros and cons to AMC ownership.  By sheer numbers produced you may be able to find a good turn key wagon for a decent prices.  Good SX/4's are getting harder to come by on the cheap, but better ones can be had if you want to spend a bit more.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

23baseball3

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
The couple SX/4's I've found "nearby" (800 miles round trip to get the car and back) are under 1000 but they both have subframe issues. I am willing to take on that type of project with my dad and learning how to do anything. I have been researching the basics of doing bodywork as well, because my dad can do anything with the moving parts of the car, but he never got to doing the body stuff. I'm willing to take on any project as long as it has a clear title.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
Subframe issues are a huge concern.  Many of them can be saved.   The best thing you can do is strip the interior to find all of the issues.   Remember these are unibody cars and the entire structure provides vehicle integrity.  Even the glass provides strength.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

23baseball3

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:19:14 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-AMC-Eagle-SX-4-runs-/351012041453?pt=Salvage_Parts_Cars&vxp=mtr&hash=item51b9f2b2ed&nma=true&si=hS2aoKxMcDA2SGifR7jJr3Hgap8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I just received news that this car is going to the crusher!!!! :'( I emailed the guy today and he just responded that it's supposed to go to the crusher soon. I'm just trying to spread the word.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk