News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 03:52:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High idle to long  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
High idle to long
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:13:30 AM »
A question for the masses, I've gotten my 83 wagon to run good but it stays at a high idle for about 15 min give or take which is really hard on the drive train when its shifted into drive/reverse. After the idle finally drops down its just a tad too low and has a tendency to stall. The car drives down the road no issues there, but when idling through town and/ or coming to a stop it'll stall. What I'm wondering is which of the vacuum delays would be most likely to cause the extended warm up time? The vacuum and electrical systems are all stock and, I think, hooked up properly. I know there is the egr tvs cto  vacuum switch assembly in the system but I don't wanna just start chucking random parts in there until I find the right one,. Has anyone else experienced this that has any suggestions.
 On another note, where can one find the tiny retainer clips for the carb linkage?
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: High idle to long
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
Sounds like your electric choke is not getting voltage and requiring engine heat to open fully.  This takes linger to open.  Check and ensure you have 12V going to your electric choke.  If "yes" add a ground to the metal choke retainer.

It could also be the fast idle cam is gummed up and sticking.  Carb cleaner and an air compressor will clear that up.

Send a pic of the exact throttle retainer clip you need.  I can get all of the clips.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
it sounds like the old electric choke is stuck ,replace it with a new one and lubricate the whole mechanism and get sure to be hooked on 12 v from the alternator. that will solve the problem. good luck and happy repairings ;D
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 02:23:22 AM »
Sounds like a good place to start,I've always had trouble getting those darned electric chokes right.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
If running straight from the alternator you should add a 12V ceramic regulator in line to regulate the voltage.  The choke will eventually burn out if unregulated voltage is routed to it.  Usually just adding a ground to the choke retainer does the trick.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:38:05 AM »
In reading the info on the sprynet? page it says the coolant temp switch is supposed to change the engine speed after it hits 135 degrees now I'm on the hunt for one of those, and I'll be touching the choke settings again as it still wants to stall and run erratically
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
The choke is switched by an oil pressure sensor on the bottom back passenger's side. Check if the choke is getting power. If not, start at the oil switch.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
You acn bypass the oil pressure switch and run the choke from the RUN position on the starter solenoid.  This solves all voltage related issues from the switch.  Add a ground wire tot he choke retainer too.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:22:51 AM »
Thanx for the helps
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4