News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:15:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Wagon VS SX4  (Read 11548 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
Re: Eagle Wagon VS SX4
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
Haha, I don't know why I didn't think of station wagon.  I just say wagon I guess.  Brain :censored:

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
I have only had wagons (2). However, I nearly bought a sedan one time, and after thinking about it, I couldn't do it. Part of what makes the car so appealing to me is that it is definitely an active lifestyle vehicle. I put luggage on the roof, bikes and skies in the back, carry my tools to fix the :water reservoir: thing in the back, and can carry four VERY close friends  :occasion14: (not all at the same time, obviously).

(Actually, the car has plenty of room for four; it is amazing really...I am 6'3'' and while it does not have the legroom up front of my Town Car, it is more of an upright seating position and I am actually pretty comfortable...and the rear has maybe only an inch less legroom than a car almost 30 inches longer)

If I bought an SX/4, it would be more of a collector car that I just drive around town......not the workhorse that my wagon is. I've gone back to a newer car and my Eagle, and for wear sake, I drive my (newish) Lincoln mostly, but if I am going biking, hiking, skiing, canoeing, etc...my wagon will be machine to do it.

Finally, I know Rafe mentioned that he has to have wood on his wagons....however, I LOVE my Sport Wagon....to me, it looks the most like what these cars are to us....car-ish creatures with the heart and soul of a Jeep.  :eaglebig:
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »
I love my SX/4.  Its a fun sport car that can go anywhere.  But if I were to buy another Eagle, it would probably be a wagon, so that I could actually carry people and sporting equipment.  But in order for a wagon to look the way I'd want it to, it would need a good amount of lift and some bigger tires, probably more than the 2" the IFS can handle.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
I've had both.  I didn't notice any difference in steering or ride quality between the two but there was 15 years between drives in them.  The wagon is a nice practical vehicle and the SX/4 is more of a toy/sports car.   The SX/4 is quite a bit faster than the wagon but I don't know how much of that is due to the lighter weight or the performance upgrades to the motor.   With just me and my husband the SX/4 is all we need and its my favourite because of the way it looks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:19:03 PM by priya »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Despite being the same from the A pillar forward.  They are two completely different cars.  The wagon is practical and smooth riding.  The SX/4 is for fun and is basically a two passenger car.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
SW = Station Wagon.  An archaic designation.  For some reasons the SX/4 steering seems more precise.  I don't know why.

Shorter wheelbase and less weight will do that
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 07:41:35 PM »
hi, my favourite is the 4dr sedan! compact yet full size, elegant roofline, 4 doors for friends, it';s ALL good! gz

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:03 AM »
The stock wagon suspension is too wussy and sloppy. Mine is more like a ralley car with a little extra junk in the trunk.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk