News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Direct tank replacement SX-4?  (Read 13492 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Direct tank replacement SX-4?
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »
Hey I am looking for a direct tank replacement for the sx-4. My original is in pretty bad shape.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:17:15 AM by 85AmCfreak »
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Direct tank replacement SX-4?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
I don't know if there are any, other than from a Kammback, which would be even harder to find.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline midtownboarder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
one from a spirit will work, that's what i used in mine...
81 sx/4 - stock...
82 sx/4 - restore project...
81 sx/4 - crawler project...
99 xj - 6.5" lift, 35" km/2's, locked, etc...
95 pathfinder - daily driver...

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
Are they available new??
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline midtownboarder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:31:19 PM »
doubt it, i searched car-part.com and found a jy with one...
81 sx/4 - stock...

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
I was not able to find any new ones available.  There is an old style radiatior shop near me that has repaired gas tanks, cleaned them, and put in liners for me.  You might want to look around and see if there is a similar shop in your area.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
That means I should save the tank from my beat up SX4 when I scrap it (I WILL remove every possibly usable part first).
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline midtownboarder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
I was not able to find any new ones available.  There is an old style radiatior shop near me that has repaired gas tanks, cleaned them, and put in liners for me.  You might want to look around and see if there is a similar shop in your area.

i asked a radiator shop if they had any solvents that would work to clean out the inside of my old tank as good as possible, and they laughed at me  :dontknow: ...i thought it was a fair question, but the guy kept insisting i was an idiot and it wouldn't do me any good...i still have my old tank, and washed and dried it out as best i could, and am still determined to see about cleaning it out and coating the inside with something...
81 sx/4 - stock...

Prafeston

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
I haven't watched this video yet, but I know a lot of Motorcycle guys have this issues so I typed in "Motorcycle Tank Cleaning" and found this video.

http://youtu.be/-WuU1F2VLoI

Prafeston

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »
Started watching it...looks like you are supposed to fill the entire tank with this Metal Rescue stuff...could be pricey if you have to fill like a 18 gallon tank!!!

The Metal Rescue is 24 bucks a gallon.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »
Solvents alone do nothing. they cannot. for that matter gasoline is a solvent. as is water. iirc my dad tried a kit for a tank unsuccessfully. wasn't around for his trial or what was used. just my upper imo knowledge as i play chemist at night. i know some coatings for interior tanks are supposed to work. i do not know the compounds chemicals or compatibility with gas. gas and oil eats through silicone and epoxy. so just my mininum wage knowledge speaking.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
fuel tank repair isnt that bad. put in a few gallons of water, and a dozen or so handfulls of pea gravel. shake the ever living crap out of it. rinse it out real good. (i had to do this with my tank in my spirit drag car) if you have pin holes to weld on a fuel tank, you can run a hose off a regulator from an argon tank into it. the argon displaces ANY gas fumes and it wont blow. i have hear that routing car exhaust in works also but never done that one.

Sounds like what we do to refurbish a stainless steel drum at work we however put it on a roller. This is pertinant becacse if it is saveable than the internal rust debris gets knocked off. But to stop it again from internally rusting I would like to here about as the op

Manitowoc WI

Offline midtownboarder

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
Solvents alone do nothing. they cannot. for that matter gasoline is a solvent. as is water.

true, i was more just hoping for something that would clean it good enough to get rid of any rust flakes/dust...i don't know what's out there as far as coatings go, but there has to be something that will work...i had also thought about using a soda blaster to clean it out, and then coat it...
81 sx/4 - stock...

Prafeston

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
Good find if that is it! Pretty cheap too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk