News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 03:05:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ECM test  (Read 4706 times)

Offline gambitace71

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
ECM test
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »
What do I do with these wires to preform a ECM Test bypass. They dont go to the fire wall and the only other purple and orange wires dead end at a unhooked connection box on the drivers side of the engine bay. thanks

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline gambitace71

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: ECM test
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »
so is it done already or not?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
Need more info.  What year is the eagle?  What distributor are you running?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline gambitace71

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
82 it has the stock distributor with a ford 300 cap and rotor. The point of this is to have the purple and orange wire go from the distributor to the ignition module right? The big thing that says amc on it right?

Offline gambitace71

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:35:28 PM »
I hooked up the only orange wire I can find coming out of the mcu and I found two purple wires and I cut the one I thought was coming out of the mcu spliced them together and tried to start the car after turning the key the third time it sounded like the starter locked up on the flex plate. well f*@k I cut the wrong purple wire checked it and tried the other one same thing. put it back the way it was and it started easily. tried it again and then found out I have no spark. the orange wire seems to be a thicker gauge. what thew heck I'm I doing wrong in my head this is a 15 minuet job tops but I have been at this for a while. I don't know what is going on but I and close to buying a HEI and saying  the heck with this crap. some one save me some money and tell me exactly why I shouldn't be working on cars because what I am missing is so obvious.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 03:55:36 AM »
Are there 2 or 3 harnesses coming out of your ignition module. An 82 should not need the wires cut, as they should already be going straight from the distributor to the ignition module.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
ammachine390  is correct.  There are SOME 82's w/ the computer controlled carb but they are rare. 
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »
ammachine390  is correct.  There are SOME 82's w/ the computer controlled carb but they are rare. 

All 82 Eagles should have computer controlled carbs. However, the ignition timing control was set up differently on the 82s than it was on the 83 and later models. If your ignition module has 3 harnesses coming out of it, the 1 with the yellow and black wires is for the ECM to control timing. Its called dual mode external timing control. The ECM is not between the distributor and ignition module (like it is on the 83 and ups).  To bypass, all you should have to do is unplug the yellow/black harness and unplug the stepper motor. You might want to replace the ignition module with one from a non 82 Eagle.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk