News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:38:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strut rad bushing washer confusion  (Read 1967 times)

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Strut rad bushing washer confusion
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:15:34 PM »
On the AMC forum I read the bulletin AMC put out in 1970  http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/uploads/3/strut-rod-bushing_0006-a.pdf  ...but is it still relevant?  I have an 83 and 86...the 83 has the washers opposite of the notice for the 2 piece bushing, the 86 has them the same as the 2 piece bushing. My 82 TSM shows the 2 piece bushing and both washers facing in.  My 86 TSM only shows the 1 piece bushing and it has them per the 70 bulletin.  On the Eagle forum there is a thread showing bushing replacement  http://www.amceaglesden.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Strut_Rod_Bushings   and the illustration and the pics show a 2 piece replacement w the washers both facing in!  Total confusion on my part.   I purchased 2 piece prothane poly bushings and want to install w the washers facing the correct direction.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
Marty

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: Strut rad bushing washer confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 12:19:00 AM »
I replaced my bushings with the Prothane versions last year, and found the same confusion about what was the correct way,  My washers both had their concave faces toward the bushings when I got the car, so I put it back the same way.  My Eagle TSM also showed them this way, cupping the bushings - so that's what I went with.

I had done new rubber bushings about 3 months earlier, but they disintegrated quickly during a 1000 mile trip on dirt roads.  The prothane versions have held up well after a similar trip.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk