News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 01:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Story of how I got my first car  (Read 3123 times)

Offline BluEagle86

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Story of how I got my first car
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »
I turned 16 a couple years ago, and set out to find my first car. My dad had always collected antique cars, everything from a 46' Jeep CJ2A, to our 66 Lincoln Continental Convertible. Naturally, having grown up working on and being around classic and antique cars my whole life, I wanted something on the older side- I had started saving when I was 5 to buy myself a car, and had amassed a few thousand dollars to buy something with, keeping aside enough for insurance (which is almost as much as an Eagle for a highschooler!) My parents had no problem with me sending my own money on a car, so they told me to make a list of what I was interested in- well, after reading the first few cars on the list (23' Franklin, Citroen DS, ect) I was told my choice had to meet 3 criteria- have 3-point seatbelts in the front, disc brakes up front, and have less than 300 horsepower- I had seen my first eagle downtown, a red 80' with mismatched wheels, and went to take a look at it. It had sold just hours before I went, but I had made up my mind what kid of car I wanted! I found my baby on Craigslist in the Bronx, NYC for 3k- just below budget, and it looked pretty good! I took the train into the city and met up with my dad at work, so we could go look at it. The car was in very good shape, with only a little rust on the lower doors, and a poorly executed clear coat job done to the hood. I purchased it for less than the asking price, in what may be the most easy going car purchase in history! I've had it for almost 3 years now, and have learned a lot working on it. I've replaced the cooling system, rebuilt the miserable Carter BBD twice, replaced the distributor, all the front end bushings, brakes, rear springs, pretty much everything you can do to a car (except remove the emissions systems... next on my list!). I had her repainted by my teachers friend about 2 years ago, and paired with the sport wheels I got on craigslist I think she's perfect!  I even got her featured on one of Rock Auto's magnets, which I'm super proud of! The Eagles Den forums has really helped me out so many times, and I hope to start answering other peoples questions now! Here are some pictures of it, one when I first went to pick it up, and one from over the summer, as well as the magnet!
Also, going back through the forums, I found a post by 83Eagle! of my car before the previous owner owned it- id recognize that rust, hitch, and Jesus fish below the tailgate key anywhere!!!
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=36139.0

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Story of how I got my first car
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »
Great story!  Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Den!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline trooper5707

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:05:54 PM »
awesome story and beautiful car!

Offline BluEagle86

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 06:14:31 PM »
Thankyou guys so much! I'm glad to have the approval of fellow Eagle owners!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »
Of course you have approval from fellow eagle owners. Welcome to the den

Manitowoc WI

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
Good looking Eagle. Welcome to the group.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »
Loved your story and love your Eagle. Can't beat original Eagles as there getting harder and harder to find these days. Enjoy your ride and welcome to the Den!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk