News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:32:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help manually changing to 2wd  (Read 3208 times)

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Help manually changing to 2wd
« on: July 12, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
ok..... I've read and read and read and it sound like it should be a very simple thing to manually get this thing back into 2wd but when I get under the car I'm not seeing what bolt I'm supposed to be turning :banghead: Am I even looking in the right place? Can I link to a video? I have one of how the motor moves.
After all my reading I'm also wondering if it really matters... I'm used to driving my '78 Concord and this Eagle feels like its really dragging. I thought that was because it is in 4WD but somebody I was reading said I shouldn't notice any difference.  Opinions?? maybe just needing the rest of a tune up???   

p.s. Seems like I keep coming up with things in my quest to get my eagle running that all the reading isn't quite answering. Should it just start a thread in the project cars??? I've had a lot to work on but its not like I'm rebuilding it.

Thanks for all the help so far!    :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:01:56 PM by trucker79005 »
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Help manually changing to 2wd
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »
Yes you are in the wrong place. The nut you need to turn is on the left side(driver's) of the transfer case. The transfer case is bolted to the back of the transmission.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:35:45 PM »
Thanks! I should have been able to figure that out... am I assuming rightthat the axle is locked since both wheels turn together? And once I get the transfer case switched it won't matter if it's locked??
Laura (Shorty)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »
Yes, it won't matter if the axle is locked. If you are feeling a drag, I would look for a dragging brake or bad wheel bearing or something along that line.

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
Once i got back under the car I felt very stupid. :newbie: Thanks for your patience and help! After reading some more I don't think its going to stay in 2WD. I can move the bolt but it never finds a new position. I just pushes against the spring and goes right back to where it was...

eaglefreek I was just looking and I believe I went through your town while taking my trip to get this car. Loaded cattle in Lynchburg
Laura (Shorty)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
I don't live in the city limits, but close enough. Some use bailing wire to hold it into 2wd. You might have to disconnect the vacuum motor. Have you verified it is in 4wd?

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »
I think I finally got it. I did jack up one front wheel and it was very difficult to move. I think i was expecting the lever on the transfer case to move and stay in a different position. I messed with it a bit and finally heard the clicking when it switched. When I checked the wheel again it turned relatively free. Now I have to find all the posts and figure out either how to test my vacuum motors or how to make this thing not need vacuum motors because I will desperately need my 4wd as soon as it rains here again.
Laura (Shorty)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk