News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine swap on a 80 Chevy monza  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Creepingmonza

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Engine swap on a 80 Chevy monza
« on: August 09, 2015, 03:18:00 AM »
I have a 1980 Chevy monza with a 151 iron Duke under the hood.I'm wanting to swap it for a mercruiser 3.0, prefibly an older one like a 79, but in new condition. Reason is I am dealing with 70-76 hp,and new this block put out 82 hp.40 years ago this was a quick car for mom to put put to the store but now its struggling to keep up.I also have a squal I can't find,I think it's in the crank.maby a spun bearing.not sure.I'm aware the mercruiser will double my hp and sence its the same block with a stroker kit and a super duty crank,it should drop right in and I won't have to mod my suspension like I would with the more popular 350 h body conversion.I need any and all info here.can give it to me here,in me,or email me at creeper0629@gmail. Com.I'm aware the merc was converted for Marine use and I'll need to know how to convert it back.if it helps I have my intake on the passenger side, Rochester verajet 2 carb.not happy with the carb,and would like an upgrade here.thanks

Offline Creepingmonza

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Engine swap on a 80 Chevy monza
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
As a note I'm well aware my car is a Chevy,but its engine is relevant to the site,and many here should have knowlage on the engine.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:49 PM »
I cleaned up the thread to keep it on track. I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about the Iron Duke.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
There are 2 Dukes. Early one has SBC and 4.3L V6 bell pattern. Later one has 60 degree Chev V6 pattern like the 2.8L. Aside from that, they are very different.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Creepingmonza

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »
Sorry I been mia for a bit,I was trying to finish a crossbow I am working on for a survival forum that wanted to do a full post on my project.I wasn't aware the Duke was also a six banger.interesting.I'll do research on that

Offline Creepingmonza

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 08:20:47 AM »
And thanks for taking out the trash on this thread.I'm sorry you had to deal with that.wasn't what I wanted.I still have no leads on the motor,but plans got derailed as some things came up.but I got time to research this further and I hope y'all can help.I'm shooting for the mercruiser 3.0,I think my big challang will be converting it back to automotive use.if it realy is a Duke they slaped a stroker kit in I have no doubt bell housing will match and at most I may have to tweek the engine mount a tad.I'm curious if I get one with more modern intake and fuel systems if I will have to get rid of my mechanical fuel pump.I realy like that thing and would want to keep it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk