News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 01:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reproduction Parts  (Read 19534 times)

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Reproduction Parts
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »
As you may or may not know, I made reproduction side markers for the SX4 a while ago. I ended up selling off the molds for that to CaptSpillane who now is picking up where I left off. I received a great deal of praise for those and would like to continue making parts in my free time.

Now that I have my casting furnace up and running as well as material to make molds from, I plan to begin making some more reproduction parts on the weekends when I am home from college. On top of that, I finally have everything I need to recreate the Eagle mudflaps that I started working on months ago.

Below are some photos of the laser cut plastic that I will be using to make a perfect mold of the Eagle mudflap that I used for dimensions. Unlike the original piece, mine will be of higher quality with much sharper edges and an overall cleaner look from the original. As with the original, I plan to reinforce them with fiberglass.

List of parts for sale:

List of parts in the works:
  • Hatch Hinges
  • Full Color Graphics

If all goes well over my upcoming spring break, I should have the first few sets of mudflaps and wagon hatch hinges for sale.

Anything that is made from cast metal can easily be remade if I can find a suitable original piece to make a mold from. If anyone has any ideas for parts, feel free to post below.

I invite anyone and everyone to post on here and give me feedback on any aspect of the parts I am making and to make any suggestions on how I may better the parts I am making. I wish for this to be an open dialogue between me and the community.

NOTE: I am well aware that bumper corners are in extremely high demand. However, I do not have the necessary funds available to begin remaking them. I also do not have a good quality original to take measurements and make a 3d model from. If in the future, I come across a set in good shape that I can purchase or borrow, I may go down this road, as I can easily CNC mill molds and begin plastic injection molding new parts.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:27:32 PM by dleberfinger »

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: Reproduction Parts
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:29 PM »
I've been slacking and am just getting back to that effort. Its good to see you haven't been idle. Looks good Dave, nice work.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:15:29 PM »
Awesome. How do you plan on making the hatch hinges?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Awesome. How do you plan on making the hatch hinges?

I plan to attempt to cast them in recycled cast aluminum at first. I will be casting one that is original to the piece. I will then be bisecting the piece on a mill to see what kind of grain patterns are developing and test the hardness. I then plan to strength test one that is original and make a second one that does not have the webbing like the original and is solid. Depending on what kind of results I see there will determine what happens next. These tests won't happen until I come back to school.

I would ideally like to offer them to the public as soon as I have some solid ones made. The issue I am concerned about is that the original is made of steel, if I'm not mistaken, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, and aluminum could potentially be far too weak to handle it.

If that is the case, I will most likely not be able to reproduce these as I cannot cast steel at this time.

If all goes well and the hinges are sturdy enough, I will begin to offer raw, cast aluminum hinges with steel studs pressed into where they belong. If I get around $500 in sales, I will either invest in getting an anodizing setup to chrome anodize the parts, or send some to get chrome plated. If I get the anodizing going, I can offer them in a lot of different colors.

I've been slacking and am just getting back to that effort. Its good to see you haven't been idle. Looks good Dave, nice work.

Dave, do you still plan on making the louvers? I will most likely be purchasing a TIG welder in the near future and plan to make my own.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:49:42 PM by dleberfinger »

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:42 AM »
HATCH HINGES would be a big seller!!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:49:20 AM »
HATCH HINGES would be a big seller!!!

I am aware. If my concerns are unjustified, then they will be in production very shortly.

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
I'm in the process of purchasing a printer to use for printing on vinyl. This will allow me to reproduce literally any sticker or graphic that was on the Eagles. Now I just need to start collecting good samples to reproduce!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »
How about Honcho emblems? ;)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
Very cool! I want a set of spare hatch hinges.

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 12:02:38 AM »
I think solid aluminum would work as good or better than the cast steel (pot metal) that the originals were made from. It would be best to drill and tap for a stud, rather than pressed in (just my opinion).
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »
This would be a neat decal to reproduce. I've mostly seen it on Spirits, but I do recall seeing it on one Eagle. Would be fairly simple really.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
First set is done. Does anyone know how the mudflaps are supposed to be cut? I don't have an original here. Does anyone have a problem buying them and cutting the mudflaps themselves?

Small bubbles exist on the lettering, however, they can't be seen if you're more than a foot away.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:13:55 PM by dleberfinger »

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 04:59:20 PM »
They look great man. What are you going to be charging for a set? I'll see if I can dig up some pics of my flaps. The front and rears are cut a bit different.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
This is the only good pic I have of them and it's the backside. Also not sure if it's fronts or rears.

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »
This is the only good pic I have of them and it's the backside. Also not sure if it's fronts or rears.

It appears as though they were cut by hand, either that or they have just worn differently. As I recall, there is a set of lines on the mudflap itself that says front and rear to show how to position it height wise. Any chance you could measure the distance from the lines to the bottom of the mudflap?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk