News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:40:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CJ7 radiator  (Read 13433 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
CJ7 radiator
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
Just got a 3 core CJ7 radiator and it's a work of art!!

BUT it got banged up or something in shipping.

Would you guys run this as-is? Damage is on left side.

For those of you running the CJ7 radiator, any issues with reusing the stock fan shroud and stock style fan clutch? Anything else to know about this mod?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:30:06 PM by Zoro »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: CJ7 radiator
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
For those of you running the CJ7 radiator, any issues with reusing the stock fan shroud and stock style fan clutch? Anything else to know about this mod?
An intrepid Eagle's Den member and moderator who goes by vangremlin recently did just this, to his Kammy. The link to his thread is here: http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42945.0;topicseen
 :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Zoro had already found and commented in that thread. Looks like he's onto the right track!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
If the nearest tube on that side isn't compromised, I wouldn't worry about it. I need a rad for mine and the '77 AMX one I have won't let my hood close all the way.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
The folks I got the radiator from made good on their promise to replace it. Will be starting the install sometime this week.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
Cool!  I probably should have contacted them and asked for a replacement also but was already halfway into the job.  I have not had any leaks from mine so apparently the dent did not damage it. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
The first one was probably fine but I didn't want there to be any issues down the road with warranties. "Hey you should've known better than to run it like that."

BTW this is a Champion radiator from Radiators4Less with a lifetime warranty for those interested.

On a different note I think I'll be able to use the stock upper hose as it's a bit kinked. Gotta feeling I can make the lower hose for a J series truck/FSJ work.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:29:39 PM by Zoro »

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:00:12 AM »
IIRC...I used the original bottom hose. I had to cut an inch or two off one end.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »
Started the swap today and flushed the system out about 9 times. Reminds me of a colonoscopy prep...
You're not done until it runs clear." :o

The new radiator is WAY bigger<thicker> than the stock radiator. Looks like at some point my Eagle must have rear ended somebody because the valance shows obvious signs of being straightened and the AC core was bent. Tried to get the AC core straight but it started to leak so it came out. Really going to miss my AC come next month.

Appears that I can reuse BOTH the stock hoses with only some trimming for the bottom.

Drilled the new mounting holes 6.5" lower than the cap.

Fan shroud is going to take some trimming to get it to work.

Lastly I'm not sure if my stock fan&clutch will work. If they do it's gonna be a REALLY tight squeeze!

Hopefully I'll be done with this tomorrow and will post pictures up.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
Started the swap today and flushed the system out about 9 times. Reminds me of a colonoscopy prep...
You're not done until it runs clear." :o

Fan shroud is going to take some trimming to get it to work.

Hey, your first comment really struck home with me lol 

I'm guessing you can go without the radiator shroud.  This new radiator is going to cool so much better that I don't think overheating will be a problem at all!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »

Hey, your first comment really struck home with me lol 

I'm guessing you can go without the radiator shroud.  This new radiator is going to cool so much better that I don't think overheating will be a problem at all!
[/quote]

Figured somebody would get a laugh out of it...BTDT lol

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as far as the shroud goes. Gonna try and install it and see what happens. Don't have any other AMC cars here or I'd swap it over to them and I don't want to leave it idle in the garage should it get broke.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »
A shroud can make a HUGE difference, especially in stop-and-go traffic. Keep an eye on it as it gets warm and see how it does, it could be fine.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
A shroud can make a HUGE difference, especially in stop-and-go traffic. Keep an eye on it as it gets warm and see how it does, it could be fine.

Will probably have to mount the shroud using those radiator zip ties for aftermarket fans and trans coolers.

Turns out there's 3/4"-1" of room between the hub on the fan clutch and the radiator AND enough room to use the shroud as long as I can figure out how to mount it. The shroud doesn't fit as tight as it did with the OEM rad but it will work.

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »
Here we go.

New and old radiator

New radiator with OEM shroud. Note the outlets and how they don't line up, I'll take care of that later.

Cores on the new radiator as seen thru the radiator cap spout. This is a 3 core. Note how BIG the new cores are. Each core is about twice as big as the stock one.

New radiator in. If it sat 1/2" lower it'd be perfect but it does contact the hood as-is

Hood contact

I opted for a FLEX HOSE for the bottom. Probably could have made the stock one work but I didn't feel like messing with it. If the hose was an inch or two shorter it would be perfect.

Upper hose. Reused the stock hose and the fit is TIGHT. Make sure you have good clearance between the AC belt! flex hose would work well here but I try to avoid them when possible.

Radiator clearance between stock style HD fan clutch.

FAN SHROUD MOUNTING

Couldn't get the stock fan shroud to bolt up so I mounted it like you would a trans cooler or aftermarket AUX fan

Drill holes

It's on. MAKE SURE YOU SPIN THE FAN AS YOU HANG THE SHROUD SO YOU KNOW YOU'VE GOT THE CLEARANCE NEEDED!!

Engine running, nothing grinding or leaking!

The end result

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 08:20:03 AM »
Looks great!  Thumbs up for all the pictures and the great write-up.  Couple of questions.  Do you know how long the flex hose is that you used on the bottom? And what have you decided to do about the hood interference?  I kind of elongated the holes vertically when I ran into the same problem.  It clears now but not by much!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk