News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone have a Bosch Alternator?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone have a Bosch Alternator?
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »
I picked up a 1980 TSM the other day and noticed that besides listing a 42A and a heavy-duty 55A, it listed a 65A Bosch alternator only with Eagles with heated rear window and fog lamps.

I was wondering if anyone out there has such a beast. I don't recall hearing about any.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Anyone have a Bosch Alternator?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »
They are AC Delco and not Bosch. Same as used in many GM vehicles in the '70s and early '80s. Mine should have the higher output alt since I have ALL the extra goodies (AC, Onboard air, rear defrost and wiper). I have to replace my AC belt today so I'll check it and see if I can read it. (Mine runs off the York AC compressor. I get major squeal on startup and dim lights last couple nights while driving with the heat on)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
That would be it. Autolite is what they used to go by. Foreign company doing rebuilds with US sounding names.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
The Bosch are supposed to have a box on the back that contains the brushes and the regulator as a replaceable unit. I don't think there was a sense wire on them, just a light wire.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »
I replaced my altenator about 1 year ago with a new from the box Bosch.  My parts guy at Lordco pulled the part number up from the computer as the correct unit for my car.  Prior to that I was using an AC DELCO that was for a GMC Suburban (100amp) and truth be told, I like the AC Delco unit better.  The Bosch came with a 2 year warranty though, so once that expires, I'll probably pull it and use it as a spare and put another AC Delco in.
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
If you run the 1 wire alternator, it's best to have a voltmeter in the car because the dash light doesn't work when they quit charging. I don't trust ammeters anymore since I almost lost 3 Jeeps when they set themselves on fire in the dash!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »
Thanks everyone, I thought they would be pretty rare.
NSS#47184

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
My '81 has a Bosch unit in it, although I'm pretty sure it's the previous owner's handiwork.  It was most likely an upgrade to accommodate the stereo they installed.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
I replaced my altenator about 1 year ago with a new from the box Bosch.  My parts guy at Lordco pulled the part number up from the computer as the correct unit for my car.  Prior to that I was using an AC DELCO that was for a GMC Suburban (100amp) and truth be told, I like the AC Delco unit better.  The Bosch came with a 2 year warranty though, so once that expires, I'll probably pull it and use it as a spare and put another AC Delco in.

Do you have the part numbers for both?  Any mods getting them in, or they just went in with no issues or mods?

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
I will try to find the part numbers in my files.  They were a direct bolt in.  No mods required!
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
I will try to find the part numbers in my files.  They were a direct bolt in.  No mods required!

post it here, or send me a PM.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
i had a bosch in my 80 spirit. if i remember right, it was only 55 amp. it diedish and would randomly cherge way high (15-16 volts) so i had it replaced and thats when my boosted ac delco found its way in. bolt on 175 amps mf'ers!
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk