News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 01:13:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Checking interest - trailer wiring  (Read 12279 times)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Checking interest - trailer wiring
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »
I saw a few posts while browsing through the site about the troubles a few members had hooking up a trailer wiring harness because the Eagles use a 3 light setup which leaves no way to easily hook up both the brake lights and turn signals.  I'm one of the lucky ones that have a tow package, so I don't have this problem with my Eagle.

I'm in no way an engineer, but I am an electronic tech and enjoy challenges like this.  If anyone is interested in getting a trailer plug wired up to the Eagle the "right way" instead of having to use an additional set of lights and a second plug, I can draw up a diagram and post the idea I have for it.  There's nothing real complicated with it, and all the parts needed could be purchased with a trip to Radio Shack and maybe an auto parts store.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Checking interest - trailer wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
Would it be easier than using a trailer light converter? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CHT-55130
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
Nope, my method would involve more work because it would be using 4 individual diodes, so there would be soldering onto the leads, insulating the wires, securing the diodes so they don't get ripped off, etc.  I'm willing to bet that's all the converter box is, just 4 diodes put into a convenient package with color coded wiring.  My method would just be about 10 bucks cheaper, but even I would use the converter box you posted if I needed to wire up a harness.  I just didn't know they existed.  I figured if there was a solution that simple and readily available we wouldn't have had members rigging things up with additional lights and wiring on the trailer.

That's one of the reasons I was checking interest.  There's no reason for me to put the work in if there's already easier solutions. 

I had 2 ideas, and the second one would be far more complicated because it would involve several relays, running a constant power wire to the fuse panel, and the 4 diodes.  The benefit to the more complicated method is it wouldn't put additional strain on the already weak factory wiring, and won't affect the flasher speed.  It would be the same concept as the factory tow package setup.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline bigdog56e

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
  I used a NAPA converter on my Eagle, easy to wire up and works fine.
                                                                                          Eddie ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk