News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding A/C to the Iron Duke  (Read 12751 times)

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Adding A/C to the Iron Duke
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
I live in Shreveport, LA and it's been over 100F most days this summer. I need air conditioning.

I've got an 82 SX/4 with the 151 and I also have an A/C unit that the previous owner tossed in with it. On the 258 side of the forum, I see that I need to add a compressor, evaporator, patience, condenser, hoses, oil and refrigerant, and a receiver/drier.

I really don't know anything about A/C systems, but I found a guy who has some parts from GM vehicles that I might be able to use (http://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/pts/2577226761.html). I need some pointers on where to go for more info, or where to learn about it all.

Are A/C parts really specific to the system/vehicle, or do I just need to get one of each and hook them all together?
1982 SX/4 Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. 135k miles.

amosende

Re: Adding A/C to the Iron Duke
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
Hi  Siguy8.  Were you ever able to get AC put in??
I have an SX4 that I just bought and am wanting to do the same thing.

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Not yet! I actually moved to Tucson, AZ so it has been just as bad here without A/C. I'd love anyone else's input on this because it seems like no one knows how to do it. I asked a local A/C shop here in Tucson and they said they'd have to get back to me. After calling them a few times I've pretty much given up.

It's cooling down here, so this project is probably on hold until next May...

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »
im thinking you would need parts form some ac equipped cars, like the ductwork, ac condenser and etc. you might be able to make a compress from a GM vehicle fit.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:14:36 AM »
the good news is that most of the parts (condenser, AC heater box, and ac heater controls) are all the same among eagles (to my knowledge).  the bad news is you and your engine is not going to be happy with the power that the A/C unit is going to take from the engine and it could cause the car to run hot.   
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »
Yes, a parts source from another AMC small bodied car is what you will need, preferably a Iron Duke car as the mounts will be there.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:15 PM »
Great! Thanks for the responses! I dropped a gigantic radiator in after I overheated and cracked my cylinder head, so I should be ok. Unfortunately my iron duke will be struggling even more, but at least it won't overheat.

Now I've gotta find a donor...

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »
I think the most critical things you'll need from a donor will be the underdash tray, heater box, and A/C-heater controls from any Eagle, and the brackets for the compressor.  On the 258 cars, the alternator was relocated to accomodate the compressor, so make sure to check out whether you'll need those brackets too.  I think any other parts should still be available, or in the case of the condenser, you can find a generic substitute.  Check with places like Classic Auto Air, etc, they may be able to help you out.

Good luck!  Over the years I had gathered parts to add A/C to three of my old cars, but it never came to fruition.  Guess it never got hot enough here in Denver lol.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »
Don't forget to get the wiring if you have the opportunity. Also I assume you're going to upgrade the refrigerant to R134a instead of the original R12. You might want to have that evaporator core tested to see if it can withstand the higher pressure.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 06:25:05 PM »
Keep in touch regarding your a/c.  I have a 81 Eagle with the iron duke; no a/c, and I want a/c.  I've put a/c into 6 cylinder 258, amc's 3 different times.  It was easy!  I was lucky to be stationed near a junkyard, and carefully took apart a a/c equipped Eagle or Concord.  It's nothing to take a dashboard out of an AMC!  That way you can put in the a/c stuff under the dash where it belongs.  It was easy for the 6 cylinder, a few things needed to be changed on the engine, pulleys, belts, viscous fan.  But I'm new when it comes to the Iron Duke, and what will be needed to do. 

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »
Still trying to pull an ac system together for  this gm engine!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 08:56:10 PM »
Find an S10, Camaro or Blazer with the 2.5 in it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
Still looking for ac for my 4 cylinder eagle, I have  another one now!  I have to have ac!

Offline ChickenFarmer3

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fly like an Eagle!!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »
There is a parts car in denver that has an ac in it and the parts.  To buy the whole thing he wants 1000.  Hopefully parts will be more reasonable.

call mark 720-329-6950
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:07:19 PM by ChickenFarmer3 »

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »
This looks like a 6 cylinder engine.  iron duke 4 cylinder a/c systems are few and far between!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk