News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 30, 2024, 08:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seat fabric come off easily?  (Read 8555 times)

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 179
Seat fabric come off easily?
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:47:17 PM »
I have been trying to look into getting at least the front seats of my Eagle recovered.  I am hoping to meet with two other local upholstery guys here soon.  I got a quote awhile back for $700 for new tops for the fabric of my front seats.  I think that is a little pricey to be honest.  He also wants to pull the seats out to do the job. I am also not completely satisfied with the job he did on the headliner.

Talking with a member here on the nest a suggestion was made to get a set of vinyl seat covers made and just put over the top of the existing fabric. 

I am trying to figure out if covers can be made without pulling out the seats.  I cannot figure out how to drive it without the seats.  And I personally think it is a lot of work to swap seats; work I do not want to pay someone to do.asy to pull the seat fabric off in one piece (or two pieces)?

I would like to get a set of seat covers made that I can install myself to save on some of the cost.etty e

I have a set of power seats from a wagon in the shed that I got from Mavericke.  If I give the upholstery shop those seats would they be able to use them to make a set of covers?

When I was at U-Pull-It with Pigonawing he got two SX/4 seats for his SX/4.  He bought them without the fabric.  Am I safe to assume that it is pr

Can upholstery shops make a set of covers by using the old covers as a pattern?  Or am I better off pulling the seats. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: Seat fabric come off easily?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »
if my memory isn't playing tricks on me your seats and the seats i delivered are both non pillow so an upholstery  shop should be able to make a set of covers using the seats in your shed. 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »
Its  best, in my opinion, to have the seats out Brandon.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »
I was afraid you guys were going to say that the seats need to be out.  That may not work. 

I suppose I could put the seats I have in my shed in, but looking at them the frame will need some modification as the driver's one does not look the same as the ones in my car.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Only differance in brackets is (that I have seen) between power and manual seats. However the holes are there for both.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »
Yeah the ones I have in the shed are power seats.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
Just pull the seats out, get yourself one of these chairs (cut the legs off) and you're good to go.

1984 AMC Eagle Wagon (Soon to be for mountain fun times)
1997 Honda Civic (Daily driver in the winter)
2009 JM Star Scooter (Daily driver in the summer)
2010 Schwinn Hybrid Bike (Daily driver in Spring and Fall)

"It may be too early to drink scotch, but it's never too early to think about scotch"

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
I like that idea.  However I am not sure the police in my town would.  I am sure they would notice that.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
Found a pair of Jeep Cherokee seats for sale really cheap here.  Going to call tomorrow and see if I can get them and modify them to fit the Eagle.  If I can't get them to fit I am only out a few bucks.  I think I found a website that sells nutmeg seat covers.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:55:29 AM »
I just got some new seats for my eagle...looking at the under side it looks like the material is attached to the seat frame with vinyl hooks...looks pretty simple to get them off for restitching or repair.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
I just got some new seats for my eagle...looking at the under side it looks like the material is attached to the seat frame with vinyl hooks...looks pretty simple to get them off for restitching or repair.

Are they Eagle Seats or are they from something else?

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
I have been trying to look into getting at least the front seats of my Eagle recovered.  I am hoping to meet with two other local upholstery guys here soon.  I got a quote awhile back for $700 for new tops for the fabric of my front seats.  I think that is a little pricey to be honest.  He also wants to pull the seats out to do the job. I am also not completely satisfied with the job he did on the headliner.

Talking with a member here on the nest a suggestion was made to get a set of vinyl seat covers made and just put over the top of the existing fabric. 

I am trying to figure out if covers can be made without pulling out the seats.  I cannot figure out how to drive it without the seats.  And I personally think it is a lot of work to swap seats; work I do not want to pay someone to do.asy to pull the seat fabric off in one piece (or two pieces)?

I would like to get a set of seat covers made that I can install myself to save on some of the cost.etty e

I have a set of power seats from a wagon in the shed that I got from Mavericke.  If I give the upholstery shop those seats would they be able to use them to make a set of covers?

When I was at U-Pull-It with Pigonawing he got two SX/4 seats for his SX/4.  He bought them without the fabric.  Am I safe to assume that it is pr

Can upholstery shops make a set of covers by using the old covers as a pattern?  Or am I better off pulling the seats. 

HAve an upholstery shop teach you how to hog tail the fabric in the seats with the hog tails so you can get the look of original.  Jayson
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »
What is hogtailing?

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »
What model is yours 83Eagle?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46:05 AM »
I forgot to ask..have you gotten a chance to check those seats out yet?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk