News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 02:58:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diesel SD33T NV4500 SX4  (Read 45511 times)

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Diesel SD33T NV4500 SX4
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
Howdy,
I'm going to use this thread to describe the diesel SX4 I've already begun to build. A few days ago I purchased a perfectly restored and maintained show winning 1980 International Scout Traveler. As soon as I drove it I fell in love with the drivetrain. It fits my driving style perfectly and gets incredible fuel mileage. Its power compares to a 304 and its low RPM torque compares to a 360 V8, but it would go further on our little SX4 fuel tanks than my 151 four cylinder could. In my opinion it’s the best overall engine an Eagle could have.

The Turbodiesel engine has oiling holes that the nonturbos don't and they were only available in 1980. All the earlier scouts were non-turbo, so finding a turbo engine is quite difficult. I started looking just to find one to drive since I didn't know how much I would actually like it. The Scout I just bought is the first one I've ever seen and it is too nice for me to have the heart to take the engine out, but after I agreed to buy it I told the previous owner that I wanted it to have as a running example as I collect parts to build a diesel AMC Eagle. He then took me behind his garage and sitting there was a complete Scout Turbodiesel engine identical to the one running in my Traveler. He had a completely spare SD33T drivetrain with everything except the bellhousing and transmission that I now have along with a pristine example I can drive, measure, and refer to for help as I build my Eagle. Since I already own the car and the engine, this project has officially started.

The turbo is readily available from Mercedes vehicles and everything else except the block itself is the same as the more common non-turbos. The bell-housing is the same and it won’t be hard to find one through the Scout community. A Scout enthusiast also offers a kit to install a longer driveshaft on an NV4500 transmission to fit behind the SD33T. Those are very strong transmissions that are very similar to the NV3550 installed in 2004 Jeeps. Putting the drivetrain together and ready to install is actually the easy part.

I'm starting with a 1982 AMC Spirit GT. I will be end up with the exterior of an Eagle and the interior of a Spirit AMX. The only difference in the body is the floor pan. The front frame has the holes for both the Spirit and the Eagle crossmembers. The Spirit floorpan is about a half inch lower and straighter without any humps on the side. I absolutely love the Spirit AMX armrest and gauge cluster but it only works with that lower floorpan. Even if you cut and raise the dash, the Eagle floorpan is curved too much and the armrest still doesn't work. For a few months the Spirit was my main car and I removed the bolt under the armrest and it wedges neatly into place, but still lifts out easily. To be honest that was very important to facilitate kissing the girl next to me. The shape is perfect for a secret cup holder, even tho I maintain that a true sports car doesn't have cupholders. I will cut the pan on either side of the center section and make new floors all around it but retain that half inch lower strip in the middle. Even if I had to make a slight modification to the firewall, it could be done while most of the floorpan is already removed. Making and supporting a new floor will be the hardest part of the build but it’s a reasonable amount of work.

The shifter location on a 2WD T5 is about 4 inches further from the engine than a 4WD T5, but thats actually a good thing. The SD33T turbodiesel has a bellhousing 4 inches longer. I expect to have the shifter come perfectly through the stock spirit armrest.

Another reason I bought the Spirit was for the louvers it came with. The rear hatch on an SX4 is tilted perfectly for sun glare, so if you've driven one you know that the rearview mirror is often rendered useless. Besides looking cool the louvers have a drastic impact on being able to see out the rear window. I have an original set and I am going to copy the dimensions and bend my own for all of my SX4s. Once I do I’ll post the dimensions on this site for other people to copy.

I've only posted on this forum once before but I've been building these cars for over ten years now. I will be building a 4.5 MPI NSG370 SX4, a 401 NV3550 SX4, a 304 T5 Station Wagon, and this diesel SD33T NV4500 SX4. I work as a merchant mariner and am home for exactly half the year and at sea for the other half. It gives me alot of time and money to spend on my AMC Eagles. I'm taking pictures of everything along the way and will eventually post everything for each vehicle in its own thread.

-Dave Spillane-
Perkiomenville PA
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Diesel SD33T NV4500 SX4
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »
wow
... behind his garage and sitting there was a complete Scout Turbodiesel engine identical to the one running in my Traveler. He had a completely spare SD33T drivetrain with everything except the bellhousing and transmission ...

Darn. Like I need another project I want to do.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see the end result.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
I am a Diesel guy, so I will be watching this thread with interest.   Please post LOTS of photos, as we like photos here.  Is the SD33T an International built engine?   It sounds pretty rare and could be hard to find parts for. It sounds like you have the skills to do the build right, and we can't wait to see the progress!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
I am a Diesel guy, so I will be watching this thread with interest.   Please post LOTS of photos, as we like photos here.  Is the SD33T an International built engine?   It sounds pretty rare and could be hard to find parts for. It sounds like you have the skills to do the build right, and we can't wait to see the progress!

It's a Nissan engine.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »
Very unique  8).
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
Nice project idea(s), can't wait to see pics and details of it(them) coming together.

One minor beef - the NV4500 and NV3550 are not related - they are completely different animals. The Aisin AX-15 and the NV3500/3550 are  cousins of the same design, basically really stout Toyota truck transmissions(R-150f design), while the NV4500 is a top-shifter granny-low true heavy duty truck transmission. The NV4500 is huge, short(in length), and heavy.

Either would be a great choice for your project(s), depending on what will bolt to the bellhousing you have available, and what transmissions you can find to stuff in there.

Hopefully you plan on doing a solid front axle/longarm suspension, or maybe you can find the space to stuff the IFS axle under that diesel. If you plan on keeping the IFS, and want to regear the axle to handle larger tires or off-roading, you'll need to find a 4 cylinder Eagle front axle. The common 2.35 Eagle front differential carrier can't be regeared any lower, and even the 3.08 axle didn't fit anything lower, so I had to use a 4-cyl 3.54 carrier for my lower gears while keeping the IFS. The Eagle front axle is a D30 low/long pinion, like the CJ front axles, so aftermarket gearing options are a bit limited.

Swapping an AX-15/NV3500/3550 into an Eagle will mean you will run into driver side floor pan clearance issues, since the AX/NV is longer than a factory T-5 or TF-auto. You'll pretty much have to fab up a transmission crossmember, although its been done with a stock eagle crossmember. My AX-15 swap project is still not finished, so hopefully you solve out the problems involved more quickly than I have.

I'll be watchin fer updates.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
Perkiomenville?! You're practically down the road from me, I'm in Limerick/Schwenksville. Wanna help with some rust repair on my SX/4? ;)
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 04:26:42 AM »
Thanks for the interest in my projects! The SD33 engines are Nissan built for a vehicle called a Nissan Patrol. They look like land cruisers to me and I think they're mostly found overseas. Domestically the engine was used in many forklifts and of course the International Scout II. AMC also used the SD33 in the CJ10. CJ10s were trucks sold overseas and they were also sold to the U.S. military as "tow pigs." In high school I almost convinced my father to buy a CJ10 towpig. I did get to drive it and look it over well. The engine fit perfectly in the space normally occupied by a 258. Externally the motor looks extremely similar and has similar dimensions.  I was very surprised actually to learn recently that the 1980 Turbodiesel Eagles use a different engine. I had always assumed that AMC used the SD33 like they did with the CJ10. In fact I’m sure they would have if AMC did make a diesel Eagle, but those 1980 conversions were done by an outside company in similar fashion to the Sundancer convertible.

In reply to "Baskinator": Another Eagle SX4 in Schwenksville?! Dang dude that's awesome. I would gladly help you keep it on the road. I've driven mine for many years without ever passing another SX4. I grew up in Perkiomenville but my current apartment is actually on Main Street in Schwenksville. Email me at [email protected] so we can make arrangements for me to see your Eagle next time I’m home.

In reply to "txjeeptx": Even though the NV4500 shares nothing in common mechanically with the 3550, AX15, or T5 I do consider it related just because it’s the biggest transmission I’m aware of that easily adapts to Jeep transfer cases. It completes the list of manual transmissions that may end up in our Eagles. I’ll end up putting a NV3550 behind my 401, but realistically I will be severely limiting the potential of the engine. A 401 belongs in a one ton truck or bigger. For the size of the vehicle, suspension, axles, brakes and transmission a 360 would have been plenty. To actually benefit from the 401’s potential performance I will eventually install a NV4500, hydraboosted caliper conversion on a custom built narrow Dana 60, with a pneumatic shock assist on the rear leaf springs. If my fabrication skills are up for it, I would also like to narrow and install the heavier front axle, control arms, and suspension from the front of a Chevy truck. I don’t want to just put a “401” sticker on the side of my Eagle as empty bragging rights, I’d like to routinely tow some fairly large trailers and boats.

The NV4500 is literally twice as heavy as a T5 and rated at 460 ftlbs versus the 300 and 285 ratings for the NV3550 and AX15. Since the SD33T only puts out about 150 horsepower, which is less than a 4.0 but much more than a 258, I would much rather have the 3550 behind it. Unfortunately the SD33T bellhousing requires a very long input shaft and until recently only the International Harvester specific T19s would fit. In the Scout community there is one guy who has made a custom input shaft and adaptor kit to modify a NV4500, but that kit isn't available for an NV3550. I wish it was.

I am aware of the axle limitations. I own eight Eagles now and I have cut up six other Eagles so far. I have several front axles of each gear ratio. In the rear I’m using Cherokee Dana 44s. The rear calipers and axle shafts from Grand Cherokees with a Dana 44 can be adapted to replace the Cherokee drum brakes. In Pennsylvania there is no tailpipe test for vehicles 1985 and older, but a visual inspection is still required. To get the emissions sticker there must be a feedback system to the catalytic converter for all 6 cylinder vehicles. For this reason all of my project cars started life with an Iron Duke 151, SR4, and 3.54 gears in them. I will never need to worry about fabricating a Pulse-Air System or Air Pump system because the sticker on the firewall says it didn’t have one from the factory.

I plan on using the original crossmember and extending it in a similar fashion as “tougeagle” did with his Caroline. There are pictures in this project section of the website. He did have a vibration problem with one of his bolts but I will try to use the original rubber support instead of poly spacers.

I use 235 size tires and 3.55 gears for all my Eagles except the six speed, which is better matched to 3.07 gears because of its lower first gear and overdrive. The NGS370 has a 4.46 first and 0.84 overdrive versus the 3.83 first and 0.79 overdrive in the AX15. The NV4500 actually has the lowest first gear and highest top gear of all at 5.61 and 0.74 so it also works well with both 3.55 and 3.73 gears.

For the record I will never, ever, consider putting a solid front axle under an Eagle. It’s just wrong on so many levels. I will also never put my Eagles in two wheel drive. They were designed to be all wheel drive.  Go buy a Spirit or Concord if you want to drive in two wheel drive. If you want a solid front axle buy a Cherokee. Honestly since adding the low range transfer case I’ve never gone anywhere with my stock Jeep Cherokee that my Eagle couldn’t go and get there faster. Over the years I’ve spent so much time and money repairing my Eagles that I do take much better care of them now. For that reason I also own a CJ8, a Cherokee, and a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon. They are nice vehicles to blatantly abuse but when it snows or rains hard you’re in for a terrible driving experience. They force you to drive slowly and to contend with steering feedback. The CV joints, all-wheel drive, and low center of gravity is exactly why I immediately ditch my Jeeps for my Eagles as soon as I actually need to travel quickly and safely.

-Dave Spillane-

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 05:12:23 AM »
I've never posted images on here and would like to test it out. These pictures are of the repair I made to my SX4 a few years ago. In high school I would show off how tough my red Eagle was by taking friends to a particular road that had a huge hump in it. Hitting the hump at 65 mph resulted in several seconds of air time. I broke two sets of leaf springs doing that and the last time I did it the leaf spring shackles actually drove themselves through my rear floor. I repaired it with a quarter inch thick plate tied into the frame and also added a full size tow hitch from a Jeep Cherokee. The lateral frame spacing on a Cherokee and an Eagle is nearly identical. I love the subtle location the 2 inch reciever ended up at. The six bolts for the hitch came all the way through the frame to those floor plates. I started with stainless steel bolts but replaced them with Grade 8 because stainless is way too brittle to trust with a tow hitch.

The original shackle goes through an eye that sits on a little pedestal under the floor pan. I cut that out and attached a new, heavily reinforced eye directly to the new floor plate. The Eagle shackle is an inch longer than a Jeep CJ but shares the same width. I bought heavy duty greaseable shackles designed to lift a CJ an inch. They ended up being the perfect size for an Eagle. The brand new leaf springs are also assisted by shocks with a coil spring wrapped around them. They're called "Load-leveller" shocks and are available at "shockwarehousedotcom". They're perfect for assisting old leaf springs you're not ready to replace.

-Dave Spillane-
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:13:07 PM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
This sounds like a great project.  Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Photos are not showing up for me.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
I managed to modify the message to make the pictures work now. Next I'm going to try to tackle updating the information  that appears under my name. For those interested, this is the complete list of vehicles that I own:

82 Spirit GT, future SD33T NV4500
82 Eagle SX4, future 401 NV3550
83 Eagle SX4, my daily driver. 4.5 MPI NSG370
81 Eagle Kammback, future 360 TF727
87 Eagle Four Door Sedan 4.2 TF998
85 Eagle Station Wagon 4.2 T5, future 304 T5
87 Eagle Station Wagon 4.2 TF998

80 International Scout Traveler, SD33T T19
85 CJ8 Scrambler, 4.2 MPI NV3550
06 Unlimited Rubicon, 4.0 Auto
92 Two door Cherokee, 4.0 AX15, complete black interior from an 87 XJ
66 Oldsmobile Toronado
67 Pontiac GTO
81 Diesel Volkswagon Truck
83 Diesel Volkswagon Quantum
79 CJ7
78 CJ7
68 Subaru 360 microcar (4 of them)

I've also cut up for parts two SX4s, a two door sedan, and three station wagons so far.

My first SX4 I bought when i was 15 at a junkyard for 250 dollars. I then bought another SX4 for 200 dollars. My family already owned two station wagons and a sedan. My father dictated that all of his children must drive an Eagle as a first car. I never stopped.

-Dave Spillane-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:41:03 AM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »
That is quite the collection of vehicle you have.  Not seen a Subaru micorcar.  I'll have to google that one. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 04:10:32 AM »
These are not my cars, but I have four Subaru 360 sedans like these. They are 25 hp 2 stroke motors, which means the oil is automatically mixed into the fuel from a little resevoir. It also means its a glorified weed whacker. They fit four actually pretty comfortably. 66 MPG. 66 MPH top speed. Manual choke exactly like my lawn mower has. Imported 1968 and 1969.

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 04:14:21 AM »
Back to the topic at hand, next week is actually when I transfer my Scout into my name. I agreed to buy it in September and finished paying for it last month. It comes with alot of extra parts including the extra engine. It comes with a new hood to replace the rotted out one. The vehicle has completely new metal on the bottom half of all the panels and in all the common Scout rot points. It is very mechanically sound and reliable.
Its a Scout Traveler, which means it has a longer wheelbase than a normal Scout. I think the Traveler roof is much nicer looking than a normal Scout with the wierd rear window.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:20:25 AM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk