News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 11:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modified Vacuum line diagram for the 258  (Read 61870 times)

Offline cross-x

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Modified Vacuum line diagram for the 258
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »
(temporary problem)
Tried to load the image but didn't work. My internet provider had to write up a trouble ticket for me that they say will take up to 3 days so I can't load the image for the above link yet until they are done.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
If the image is not too large you can e-mail it to me. jpg or gif is OK.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline krazyk59

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
in this diagram the line off the charcoal canister that says "to F/T" means to fuel tank correct? does it actualy go back to the fuel tank?? The one on my carb just has maybe a foot of vac hose on it and hangs down attatching to nothing?
89 Conquest TSI (fully modded)
87 Mitsubishi starion(parts car :D)
90 F-150
86 Eagle wagon
96 Probe gt (fully modded)
96 Eclipse GST

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »
Is this the diagram you are using?  And, yes, it goes back to the tank thru the rollover valve.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline krazyk59

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »
Is this the diagram you are using?  And, yes, it goes back to the tank thru the rollover valve.

I guess that means I need to find the line that this empty hose runs to if it is indeed suposed to go back to the gas tank from the Charcoal canister
89 Conquest TSI (fully modded)
87 Mitsubishi starion(parts car :D)
90 F-150
86 Eagle wagon
96 Probe gt (fully modded)
96 Eclipse GST

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
Does anybody happen to know what the differences would be for an '81? My guess is that it would just be the vac line for 4x4 is unnecessary since I've got the NP 119, would I be right?
I'm still contemplating whether it would be necessary for me to do this since the car is idling very smoothly all things considered, though I do know for sure that my vac lines aren't in that configuration (or any other logical configuration that I can see).....
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
I believe the charcoal canister setup would be the same regardless of 4 WD configuration.  My 2WD Concord has the same setup.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline g-man

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
OK, we have all asked about it but finally, here it is for everyone to see.  I spent more than a couple of days working this one out.  All of the emissions equipment is gone :o.  All that remains are the essential systems.

Brake Booster
EGR valve
Sole-vac
Distributor advance
4x4 vacuum
PCV & Fuel cannister
Choke (on mine)

Also, I have the TVS & TAC Vac. motor in the air cleaner cove connected.  I hope this helps every one out there who may be in the same boat I was.  Also, I hope it helps those of you doing EXTENDED bench testing of their pollution / emissions equipment.  I have set my car up like this and I also test ran it and boy is it ever smooooooth now!  This worked for me, but I don't suggest you should go out blindly and start ripping out components.  Remember the old axiom..."If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it"!!! ;)

Bird-o-Prey,

I know this is pretty old, but I just found it recently.
Could you please tell me how your driveability has been since you made these modifications?
Especially interested in Mileage and Acceleration. Any part load cylinder mis-firing at all?
I would love to do this to my Eagle. It's an '81 SX4, but it should be pretty similar to your set-up.
Thank you very much,

g-man

PS I'll take some before and after photos of my work.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »
when I went to this setup the car became more responsive and drives a heck of a sight better, I also upgraded to the GM HEI distributor at the same time though
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

1982AMCCONCORD

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
Hey I am glad I found this too!

What are the differences with this and an 82 Concord?

I was told that I should do this because my vacuum lines are all wrong. My Concord runs bad. I want to do the Motorcraft carb swap and the TFI upgrade when I do this as well.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »
I have a question is this a 5 port Vacuum switch using only 3 ports? Are 2 of the ports spliced?

I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
Yes, you can see a line drawn between the two ports.  I copied this from the manual.  There are several types of these vac switches.  After I stripped my vac system down, I ended up installing a 3 port switch, which I don't even use anymore except when I hook up my EGR for emmissions testing.
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »
You took the words out of my mouth, I was just going to ask if we can use an 84' 3 port switch. How does the switch work anyway?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »
The CTO switch is a coolant temp override switch.  It blocks all vacuum when then coolant is below a certain temperature, and then opens up once the coolant has warmed.  With the 5 port switch, the two ports are connected to the same hose in order to provide vacuum to both sets of ports.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
So if I remove that switch I will loose coolant?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk