News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Valve cover questions  (Read 2853 times)

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Valve cover questions
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
I have replced valve cover gaskets twice, once with felt and the second with rubber.  Not having any luck with either.  I even replaced valve cover.  I was told that I don't need a gasket at all just silicone engine and valve cover.  Is this correct?  Also how do I get around the A/C line that goes over valve cover?  I don't want to unhook if possible as A/C works great.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Valve cover questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 06:27:45 PM »
Do you have the plastic v.c. or aluminum one ? I'm not trying to be ignorant but are you sure it's the v.c. leaking? I used High Tack to hold gasket in place and did not over torque the bolts. My AC does not work so the line was not an issue for me .

'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
I think it is the gaskets but I'm wondering do I need a gasket?  I was told no but I think I need one. The a/c works great so I do not want to unhook it, can I go to a metal cover without driliing or tapping it?

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:01:58 PM »
If it's leaking with a gasket why would you think it won't without one. Maybe you're thinking if using a liquid cement etc. Both plastic & aluminum covers require a gasket but I suppose you could try something else. I have both plastic & aluminum in different cars. Neither leak. The aluminum I had to tap the (5) side holes but not the front & rear. I didn't have to drill any of them.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline 4x4jollyr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
AMC1- "The aluminum I had to tap the (5) side holes but not the front & rear. I didn't have to drill any of them."

Were the front and rear holes already there, or did you go without? I think I'm reading in other posts only 5 fasteners are needed- 3 on drivers, 2 on passenger side. My cylinder head w plastic cover only has these 5 holes (2 not tapped). I'd have to drill the firewall (rear) side(ain't happening w/o pulling head) and the front hole.

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
had a problem here & don't know if this went through partially. You should be able to use all 7 holes. Tap the sides to 5/16-18 but check on this. I found 3 holes on the passenger side & 2 On Drivers. Make sure all 7 holes in the head line up with the cover. Mine didn't. I had to slightly enlarge a couple of holes in the cover but it was no big deal. Start at the rear & accept that hole & work forward. One important thing however is to try & place a puddy knife between the torque down bolts & the cover. I could which meant I torque down the bolts but not the cover. I simply added small washers.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline 4x4jollyr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
OK, thanks for the help!

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:16:39 PM »
Actually when enlargening the holes you want to slot them - not increase the inside diameter with a larger drill bit.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk