News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 02:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: egr hookup?  (Read 13884 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: egr hookup?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
still have very bad pinging going on.  What I noticed today was first thing in the morning I have no pinging, not one ping, but as soon as the motor heats up I have tons of pinging.  Is that still a timing issue, cuz i have no problems retarding the timing.  The reason I ask is that whuntmore said his eagle does the same thing, only when it's hot his motor pings.  He mentioned hooking up a cold air intake, that it might help stop the pinging?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »
Are you sure it's not an exhaust manifold leak.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »
positive, it's a pinging.  I had carbed cars years ago and it has that bad gas pinging sound that only comes out when the motor is hot.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
I'm having the same issue.  it only happens when it's hot out. 

Now that it's fall, and temps are like in the 40's F, the car doesn't ping at all.    The carb needs some kind of cold air intake. 

Right now, it's taking in all the warmed air from around the motor.  Even the air coming thru the rad is adding to the warm air that the carb inhales.

That's the real issue here. 

In the heat of our summer months (well over 80 degrees and some days in the 90's) my eagle was pinging like crazy.  One hot day, I was driving up the highway, and the heat started to rise and the pinging got worse and worse. 

I turned on the heater full blast to cool down the engine, and the pinging got better.

This ain't a manifold leak, or spark plug issue (I've tried 5 different plugs - And I've got plugs for the life of the eagle) I've tried the timing from over 14 degrees BTDC to zero, It's got New plugs (several) wires, cap, button, coil, HEI, carb, hoses (all of them), fuel lines...

The list goes on.

It's nothing more then a 'Hot air going into the combustion chamber then cold" issue.

I'm willing to bet, if you rigged up some kind of cold air intake, it wouldn't ping at all.

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »
it's in the 70s here in cleveland and 50s in the mornings and I don't get a ping until motor warms up.  My motor gets so hot you can;t do any work to it till it cools down.  I was messing with some wires and got burned by a hose.  I know on my truck where I put 2 super chips on, the instructions told me to put in a 160degree thermostat to help prevent the spark knock.  I also have throttle body spacers, and a cold air intake and everything stays cool.  What is the temp of the factory eagle thermostat and does anyone think it would help keep the motor cooleer and help with out pinging? 

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
I've noticed that during the hotter days my temps rise faster, and even before it gets to full operating temp, my car is pinging already.

I've got almost the same issue you have Brownbear.  Honestly, you could get a new ERG valve, but if you had the carb sucking cold air directly off the front of the car, I bet that would do it.

Anyways, it's the cheaper of the two, and the results would be right away.   But don't believe me, try to rig up some kind of cold air return, and see if that don't do it.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »
A setup similar to the factory air cleaner would probably help. Does the factory air cleaner work on the MC carbs? If not, can it be modified to work?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »
I have a new egr valve, don't know if it's better or worse it just allowed me to pass my echeck and yes somewhere in the instructions there is some type of mod for the intake.  I won't look as good, but if it will help the pinging I will try.  Anyone have any info on the thermostat and if going to a lower temp will help?

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
It might help, but if it didn't ping before putting on the new carb, then putting in a lower temp thermostat would just be a band aide fix. Probably better off fixing the real problem.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
I have an MC2100 off of a mustang and a GM HEI distributor.  I am running a 190 degree thermostat.  I get no pinging at all, summer or winter and our summers get into the 90's.  I run the car on regular unleaded fuel.  I am willing to bet that it is a timing issue.  Try changing to a hotter spark plug and if you are using a stock distributor, try using a hotter coil as well.  Make sure you have a good fuel ratio, too.

Chris 
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
What are theplugs gapped to?

Manitowoc WI

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
new tfi upgrade, petronix coil and they should be at 45 gap.......

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »
MCU bypass diagram from my old webpage

http://www.oocities.org/eaglemania2002/bypass.html
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 01:15:22 AM »
I have my plugs gapped at .45.  No problems. :-\
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
doing more research on pinging, and I read some good things about using seafoam.  Has anyone used this product to clean http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm out carbon build up, which can cause detonation?  I found a website that  might be helpful?  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:08:06 PM by Whuntmore »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk