News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 01, 2024, 05:32:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SR4 Refuses to shift while engine is running  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
SR4 Refuses to shift while engine is running
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:05:18 AM »
As i have posted before my SX/4 4 speed manual decided to go on strike and would like a second opinion before I tear into her. To give you a bit of info leading to my "Assumption" first.

when I first put the eagle back together after the rebuild of the engine it ran great... well about a year or 2 later she decided to go on strike and refused to shift while the engine was running, I couldn't even get her to shift when if the RPM's were set right. I COULD however get it to shift while parked and not running. I "Think" it is the shifting fork as it was showing signs of wear on the ends. I "Think" if that is the case I am in need of a new clutch fork any info would help, I have "Skimmed" the transmission area several times looking for any posts relating to the SR4 or failure to shift and haven't found anything yet (May have overlooked a few) I am sorry if this is a repeat post.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: SR4 Refuses to shift while engine is running
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »
Could be the master cylinder that is leaking.
That way the oil will go back to the reservoir and the slave is not operating the fork.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline SleepsUnderCars

• Eagle crazy
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 62
  • the last truckload of Eagles ?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
I agree with Jurgen. the master cylinder to slave cylinder line on my kammback leaks a bit when not used for a while. it gets air into the slave cylinder. i put a speed bleeder on the slave, and before i go out for a day of trail riding i have to bleed the system ( cause i'm too cheap to buy a new hose)
as soon as i get this done the clutch works flawlessly all day.
but i carry the proper wrench and a quart of fluid just in case....

Sean
'81 AMC EAGLE KAMMBACK rustbucket - off road only
'84 AMC EAGLE SEDAN
'68 Rambler Rogue 
'88 Dodge Ramcharger 
'07 Chrysler Pacifica (family hauler)
'80 AMC Spirit   ** FOR SALE **
'85 EAGLE WAGON sport   -bad frame future project

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
That was the first thing check, I swapped it out for a dakota master as my master was pitted badly on the inside. Not sure about the slave, though I suppose I need to double check again.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk